Monday, March 28, 2022

BLOCK 15: SARA'S CHOICE

 This block is another variation of the Star pattern.  I decided to give it the name, Sara's Choice, because I think my dil Sara would like it with the pink and purple. The Star pattern is not a difficult block to make just takes a little extra time if you want the points to come out meeting and looking nice. Even though there are a lot of lines, the pattern just consists of four squares that are cut 3.5" square and twelve squares cut 4" square. Those last twelve squares will be used to make twelve HST (half-square-triangles). If you aren't used to making HSTs and would like some extra help, check out my tutorial on How to Make HSTs. I go in more detail than I do here with more pictures also.

For this version of the Star Pattern who want to chose three different fabrics ... one for the background (I chose the green because it was the other color in my print), one bright solid color, and one print that is medium to dark that coordinates really well with the solid color. Remember all seams are 1/4". When you press the blocks, press toward the darker print first on the wrong side and then on the right side. When are are sewing seams together, you may have to repress one of the seams to the other directions if you can not "nest" (butt the seams together as best you can) the seams. Just pin the seam over and you can repress it when you sew the new seam. 



SARA'S CHOICE

CUT  four (4) squares - 3.5" from the background fabric

CUT  four (4) squares - 4" from Print # 1 and also Print # 2 and from the background print for a total of twelve (12) 4" squares.




Match the two fabrics as shown to make the HSTs.


On the wrong side of one of the fabrics in each pair, draw a diagonal line from any two opposite corners. A good tip to remember is start in the middle and draw the line out to the edges to keep the fabric in place.

Make sure you have the right sides of the fabric facing each other squarely and sew 1/4" from each side of the diagonal line you drew. You may do this one square at a time or use the chain stitching method. I used the latter. It is faster and can save on thread. Once you have sewn on one side of all of them, turn the squares around and proceed to sew 1/4" on the other side.

Cut the connecting threads and

then cut down the drawn line making two triangles.

Press open and

then square up and trim to 3.5".




As I did this I couldn't help but start placing the HSTs on my design wall and complete the block like a puzzle.


You are now ready to sew the rows together and even though it doesn't matter which way you do this, I usually start at the bottom and

work my way up.

I save the pressing of the strips until I have all of the rows finished. That way I can make sure that I have the seams on every other row going the opposite direction so I can "nest" the seams together together. Once you get used to doing this you can remember to press the odd numbered row one way and the even numbered rows the other direction.

Once you have the block all sewed, make sure you have pressed the seams flat so that your block will lay flat.


Square up the block using a 12.5" square ruler and trim off any access.

Remember if you need more instruction for making the HSTs, please use the LINK to go to my more inclusive tutorial from start to finish for making a HST.



No comments:

Post a Comment