Thursday, March 10, 2022

HEALTHY BANANA GRANOLA BREAKFAST MUFFINS

 Okay, it’s March already so no more snow. I was afraid it might do this because we haven’t had a bad winter. Most of February was above average temperatures so I was wondering what March would be like. Next week the lows might get down in the 30s but the days are forecasted to be in the 60s. So I will just have to be patient until then. I think I can do that. I still have plenty of 12” quilt blocks to make for the 30-Block Exchange Group I am in. I am having so much fun making all of the different blocks. I’ve really learned a lot, but today you are waiting for a recipe.


Last week when Wayne and I were in Costco, a lady had samples for a granola-type cereal. I was sold with my first bite. It was pricey but it was so good. All I could think about was using it in some cookies, a breakfast cookie. The lady agreed with me. 


Well, I didn’t find a cookie recipe, but I did find a muffin recipe that I could add my own special touch to. I tried to make them as healthy as I could. I substituted whole wheat flour for half of the flour. I substituted erythritol for the sugar and my Greek vanilla yogurt for the sour cream. After adding the cereal, I decided it wasn’t enough, so I doubled the amount of cereal. The results? Fantastic! The best muffin ever! Oh, the cereal is called Mountain Summit by General Meals. (No I am not being paid by GM)


Click Here to print just the recipe.



HEALTHY BANANA GRANOLA BREAKFAST MUFFINS


2        cups flour (½ all-purpose flour and ½ whole wheat flour

1         cup erythritol (or ¾ cup sugar)

¾      teaspoon baking soda

½      teaspoon salt

1-½  cups mashed bananas (about 3 large bananas)

1         4-oz Greek yogurt (vanilla)

2        large eggs, beaten lightly

6       tablespoons butter, melted and cooled

1      teaspoon vanilla extract

2     cups granola of choice (I used the Mountain Summit) + a little extra


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray muffin tins (I made 16 muffins) with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.



In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking soda, and salt using a whisk.

Make a well in the center. Set aside.

Mash bananas, add in another bowl with the yogurt, eggs, butter, and vanilla extract.

Stir until the ingredients are completely blended.



Pour the banana mixture into the large bowl and gently fold in until the ingredients are just combined. The flour doesn’t have to be completely wet because you

add the granola next and stir into the batter.



Scoop a scant ¼ cup of batter or enough to fill the muffin cup 3/4ths full.

Sprinkle a little more granola on top.



Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center. 



Allow to cool in a pan on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes. Run a knife around the outer edge and then lift out to finish cooling on the wire rack. 


I made 16 muffins from the recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment