Friday, March 4, 2022

BLOCK 7 : JANICE'S TULIP QUILT BLOCK

 I’ve made eleven blocks now for the 30-Block Exchange Group; I’m just behind on writing the tutorials. I also have plenty of block patterns I want to make, I have just found myself in that situation where I can’t decide which fabrics in my stash would look good with each pattern. Fortunately I have a good friend who is. Friend Janice.


Yesterday we spent our Thursday as we have for quite a few years now going to estate sales and enjoying lunch together. This time though I told her I needed her to come over to my house when we got through to help me match fabric with patterns. Right after she left, I couldn’t help but start on one of the blocks. In fact it was the last one we designed. In her honor, I am naming the block pattern, Janice’s Tulip since it is basically a simple tulip design.



HOW TO MAKE JANICE’S TULIP BLOCK SQUARE

   (12.5” block square with all seams ¼” and using three color prints)


CUT the following pieces:

                 1  @ 4.5”  square (red) (flower center)

                 1  @ 5”      square (red) (to make two HST with white)

                 3  @ 4.5”  squares (white) (background)

                 2  @ 5”      squares (white) (to make four HST with green and red)

                 1   @ 2.5”  squares  (white) (background to match up with pistil - polka dot square)

                1    @ 2.5” x 4.5” rectangle (white) (background)

                1    @ 2.5”   square (polka dot) (pistil of the flower)

                1     @ 5”     square (green) (to make 2 HST with white)



Once you have all the pieces you need for the block, you are ready to make the HSTs and the smaller block with the pistil. We will start with the latter first.


This small block consists of the 2.5” x 4.5” strip from the white and the 2.5” white square block and the 2.5” polka dot square. SEW the two squares together first and press on the wrong side first and then on the right side, pressing toward the backing.


Then SEW the white strip to this strip you just made. Press the seam toward the whole strip.

If you like, you can CHECK this block to make sure it is 4.5”. Since the three pieces were cut to described size, if anything it will be small. At least you will know when you sew the “square” to the other squares where it is “short”.

Since I didn't show you a picture of sewing the two squares together, I will show you how the smaller block looked from the wrong side. (I didn't show you the picture because I goofed and sewed the polka dot square to the rectangle instead of the white square.)



Next make the HSTs by MATCHing up the 5” squares; one white with each red and green 5” squares right sides together. DRAW a diagonal line on each set.

Now SEW ¼” on each side of the drawn line.

CUT the square in half down the drawn line.

PRESS each HST toward the darker print.

SQUARE/TRIM each HST to 4.5”. You won't be trimming off a lot but some. Use the diagonal line on your square ruler to match up with your diagonal seam. (
This is why I cut the square for a HST a whole inch bigger instead of the ⅞” that directions will tell you to do.)



You can now PLACE the pieces on the design wall so you can see what your block will look like. This is like putting a puzzle together. Use my picture for your guide.



It really doesn’t matter whether you start at the top or the bottom or middle, but it is now time to SEW the three squares together in each row. I waited until I had all three rows sewed before pressing.


I PRESSed the seams on the bottom and the top rows toward the center and then the center row away from the middle. It is important that you PRESS the seams in different directions so you can “nest” or “butt” the seams together. 



When you sew the three rows together, the block basically is finished. You will match the seams together in each row by "nesting" or "butting" the seams together or flat feeling.


SECURE the two rows together with pins so they stay together to SEW.

PRESS seams any directions it doesn't really matter. I did press my away from the center though. I personally like the back or wrong side of my blocks to look as neat as the front or right sides. Part of my OCD.



Your block is finished. WAIT !

We aren't finished until we SQUARE/TRIM the square to 12.5".




Now it is finished.














OTHER BLOCK PATTERNS YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN:





2 comments:

  1. I live on tulip road so i am going to do this one, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exciting. You could make a wall hanging of several blocks and have different colors of tulips. Such an easy block to make, too. Patricia.

      Delete