Friday, April 29, 2022

BLOCK 26: ARKANSAS TRAVELER

 Last year a certain fabric store came out with fabric for the 50 states. I was lucky that I could get fabric of course for Missouri but because Arkansas if just below us, I could get it also. They also sold material for Kansas, but then that is just miles from here depending on where you live in Kansas City. I was mainly getting Missouri for my son's family, but since he was born in Arkansas like I was, I really wanted to get the Arkansas print. I even went as far as contacting family members still living in Arkansas if they could purchase certain prints for me when I couldn't find all of them. I could order it online but you had to order at least two yards and I didn't want that much.

You may be wondering why I am telling you all this. I finally have gotten around to using some of the Arkansas prints. There just happens to be two ladies from Arkansas in the 30-Block-Exchange group. (Alas, no one from Missouri so I just need to get on the stick and make some for Patrick's family.) So this past weekend I spent a few hours making each one of them a block named Arkansas Traveler(s). I like to think it is plural since the block consists of four smaller identical blocks except for placement. That's one reason it didn't take too long to make them. It felt like an assembly line producing them.

I have six different prints for the Arkansas fabric so I only used half of them, but I tried to choose ones that would show off the pattern well. I will give you instructions for one block instead of two, but remember I had to cut twice as much pieces and was picking and choosing from both of the blocks on my design wall to get the best look from the fabrics.

Oh, by the way, if you are thinking "this block is meaningless to me because I'm not from Arkansas", the block actually goes by a number of names...Spools, for one. AND you can name it anything you like.


HOW TO MAKE THE ARKANSAS TRAVELER 12.5" BLOCK 

(using 1/4" seams and consists of four (4) identical - 6.5" squares)

CHOOSE three (3) different prints

CUT from Print #1 sixteen (16) - 2.5" squares

                Print #2 eight (8)  - 2.5" x 6.5" strips

                Print #3 four (4)  -  2.5" x 6.5" strips

The top and bottom rows are made like "flying geese", if you are familiar with making them. The squares will be used on each end of the eight (8) strips for the corners.


Start by drawing a diagonal line on the wrong side of each of the sixteen (16) squares. They will be placed on the ends overlapping the strips with the line like this :  /. Also known as a forward slash.

I laid out the block on my cutting table because my design wall is full.
Carefully place squares matching corners on strip.


SITICH on the drawn line.






TRIM 1/4" from seams.







PRESS toward the dark print.

Ready to sew the three strips/rows together.
SECURE with pins to sew.

PRESS seams toward center row, the natural way they want to lean.

After you make all four smaller blocks, you are ready to sew them together to make the large block.



SQUARE it up to 12.5" and TRIM away excess.


It doesn't matter which small block is in the upper left hand corner. I just laid it the way I could see the words Apple Blossom, the state flower of Arkansas, best. The Mockingbird is the state bird, and of course, we abbreviate Arkansas - AR. 


































No comments:

Post a Comment