Monday, June 26, 2023

JUBILEE JUMBLES

This is the first weekend in several months that I have not spent part of it in my kitchen making something, usually with no sugar, for the Cafe Treats at church. I didn't have to make anything because the No-Sugar-Added Banana Bars that I baked last weekend made so much (they were made in a jellyroll pan and the bars were cut small) that I had leftovers that I froze for this weekend.

I was really surprised that I missed it so much. It didn't last too long when I felt the temperature in my kitchen and was glad I didn't have to make it even warmer. If you missed the post with the recipe for the Banana Bars, you can find it HERE.

That being said that means this week I will be sharing several of the recipes for cookies that the other Cafe Bakers made. Everyone once again outdid themselves and the people of church were really excited and interested in trying the treats. I'm sharing this recipe first because so far it is the only one I have, but they other bakers will get their recipes to me when I remind them.

These Jubilee Jumbles from Betty Crocker were made by Baker Jo Ann. I have seen the recipe in Betty Crocker's Cookie Cookbook, but never got around to making it. My loss. General Mills named this cookie in observance of the 75th anniversary of Gold Medal Flour in 1955. Washburn's Superlative Flour was renamed in 1880 when it won the International Miller's Exhibition coveted medal of gold award. (Just a little history to offer you today.) 

Jo Ann added the optional chocolate chips before she realized the cookies were supposed to be iced. I told her that the comments I received indicated that the people liked the chocolate chips and the frosting. This wasn't the first time someone has made frosted cookies and that extra bit of sweetness seems to go over very well. I have to admit I tried one and then put another one away to enjoy later.





JUBILEE JUMBLES
 
1/2     cup shortening
1        cup packed brown sugar
1/2     cup granulated sugar
2        eggs
1        cup sour cream
1        teaspoon vanilla
2-3/4  cups flour
1/2     teaspoon baking soda
1        teaspoon salt
1        cup chocolate chips (optional) or
1        cup coconut (optional) or
1        cup chopped dates or raisins (optional) or
1        cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F if you do not chill the dough. Grease cookie sheet and set aside.

Mix the shortening, sugars, and eggs thoroughly.

Stir in the sour cream and vanilla and mix well.

Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt and then add to creamed mixture. Stir well.

Chill the dough if it is soft.

Drop scoops of dough 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until almost no imprint remains when touched lightly with fingers. Cool cookies and then spread with a browned butter glaze.

BROWNED BUTTER GLAZE

1/2       cup butter (1 stick)
2          cups sifted powdered sugar
1          teaspoon vanilla
2 - 4     tablespoons hot water

Melt the butter until golden brown. Blend in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Slowly stir in the hot water until the icing spreads smoothly.

Frost cookies when cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment