Wednesday, June 14, 2023

BANANA OATMEAL COOKIES

 

This post was supposed to be published yesterday, but our Google Fiber went out and so I wasn't able to finish it. Wayne has been rearranging the furniture downstairs in his "domain" and temporality unplugged the box. 

You think women are always changing the furniture. In our house, it is the man. He has rearranged the furniture down there so many times.

Anyway, he unplugged the box and then when he plugged it back in, it didn't work. It's kinda like nightlights. You knew didn't you that if you don't turn nightlights off, the bulb will burn forever. BUT turn it off one time...it won't come back on. 

That's what happened with our Google Fiber. The good news we got an updated system and so far it's working great! With the old box, we had to have an extender upstairs. We still have an extender with the new box, but it is an "extender" from Google Fiber so it's part of the system and works so much better.

These Banana Oatmeal Cookies are the other Cafe Treat I made last Saturday and served Sunday. I found the recipe in my Betty Crocker Cookie Cookbook my mother gave me my first year on my own after graduating from college and teaching school. It was probably the first cookbook that she gave me. 

I haven't looked at it in a long time since I have so many other cookbooks now from estate sales. Now I have a whole lot of colored tabs marking different recipes to try. I really need to purge myself of a lot of the cookbooks I have bought and spend time going through some of my own cookbooks. I'll let you know how that plan goes. My mother used to have a saying about good intentions.

Update: 4/13/24 I made these last week to take for the Cafe Treats yesterday at church. I thought it would be a good use of some of the bananas that were left over from Palm Sunday. I made them earlier in the week and then froze them until Saturday night when I took them out to thaw. I followed the recipe as I wrote it except that I used 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips in place of the nuts or raisins. I kept a few out for us to enjoy and just left them in the closed cookie jar. They stayed so moist and the banana taste got stronger every day. I did just cook them the 11 minutes. It wasn't necessary to flatten the scoop either. They flatten out enough and made a beautiful and delicious cookie.   

PRINT RECIPE.



BANANA OATMEAL COOKIES

3/4      cup shortening

1         cup sugar

1         egg, beaten

1-1/2   cups flour

1/2      teaspoon baking soda

1         teaspoon salt

1         teaspoon cinnamon

1/4      teaspoon nutmeg

1-3/4   cups rolled oats

1         cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)

1/2      cup chopped nuts or raisins (I used raisins) or 1 cup of chocolate chips is nice


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Measure the flour by the dipping method. Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Beat until well blended.


(I mixed the dry ingredients together in one bowl

and creamed the shortening, sugar, and beaten egg in a large mixing bowl until creaming.


Then I added all of the dry ingredients and 

"stirred" with mixer until blended.)

Make sure you scrape the sides of the bowl.


Using a small cookie scoop, drop dough about 1-1/2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet.

Flatten lightly with two fingers. Bake 12 to 15 minutes.

(I baked the first pan for 12 minutes and they were more than a little brown.



I baked the second pan for 11 minutes and the cookie was softer. The first pan of cookies were crunchy.
)

I removed the cookies and cooled them on a wire rack. 






I also stored them in an air-tight container.

 Makes 4 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment