Monday, June 19, 2023

BANANA BARS

 Every week I spend time looking for usually a "normal" recipe that I can make using stevia in place of granulated sugar so that we can offer a Zero-Sugar or No-Sugar-Added treat for the Cafe Treats at church. I am trying not to exclude anyone from being able to enjoy the treats we offer with coffee and hot tea. That's why no treat contains peanut butter or other nuts. 

I say this and realize I am excluding those people who need gluten-free treats. No one has turned away seeking gluten-free treats and I know from serving communion, that there are only a few who require gluten-free. Trust me it does bother me and it is something I want to fix. It's just taking me time.

I took this recipe from my Betty Crocker Cookie Cookbook for Banana Bars and made them No-Sugar-Added since the bananas have natural sugar in them. I buy a stevia powdered sugar so that isn't regular powdered sugar you see on them in the pictures. I followed the recipe by using a jelly-roll pan to make the bars (15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1") but admit next time I would just make less servings and use a 9" x 13" pan. The size didn't seem to bother anyone except me, I guess, as they were well received by the people.

PRINT RECIPE.



BANANA BARS

1/4     cup shortening

1        cup sugar or sugar substitute such as stevia or Splenda

2        eggs

1        cup mashed bananas (2 to 3, depending on size)

1        teaspoon vanilla

2        cups flour

2        teaspoon baking powder

1/2     teaspoon salt



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a jelly roll pan (15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1") or a 9" x 13" pan. Set aside.


Mix shortening, sugar or stevia, eggs, bananas, and vanilla thoroughly.


Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt with a whisk.


Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture.

Stir to combine. 


Spread the mixture in the pan. (It will be a thin layer in the jelly roll pan.)


Bake for 20 minutes or until it tests done for the jelly roll pan or 25 minutes or until done in the 9" x 13" pan.

Cool in pan on wire rack.


Cut into bars to serve. (Can sprinkle some powdered sugar on top if you like.)


I used my nifty little bar-cutter I got at an estate sale. It cuts three bars at a time and makes such a cute little bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment