Friday, June 2, 2023

PROATS

 There are times when I feel I could eat out every meal. You? Well, that lasts a few days until I find myself not really knowing where I want to go or what I want to eat.

I know this is a crazy way to start a post to grab your attention, but that's where I am (at) right now. 

I really wasn't looking for something to eat, but I didn't know what I wanted to eat for breakfast and was just scrolling through Facebook to see if anything had happened overnight or if a friend had posted something meaningful. I ended up checking out an ad (there are so many on Facebook now) that really wasn't an ad, but just an article from Women and Health on 50 healthy things to eat. Most of them weren't recipes per se - you know listing the ingredients and then what to do with them. I had to read the paragraph to read about it. 

There emphasis was on added protein to fill you up so you could make it to lunch without getting hungry and snacking. I missed some at the beginning because I didn't write down the information on the breakfast, but I did manage to get three written down before I lost the article.

With nothing better to do and my husband giving me a kiss goodbye before leaving to go play golf, I decided I would try one of them.  Proats is short for Protein Oatmeal. I had all of the ingredients and it didn't take much time at all to make it, so it won out over the other two. I will have to try them another day.

The "recipe" just called for rolled oats so I used Old Fashioned Oats. That gave the dish a little rougher taste than using the quick oats, but I might try quick oats sometime to see how I like the texture. Since they suggested adding nuts, berries, chocolate chips, or seeds on top, I did break up some pecans and added a spoonful of sea salt & caramel chips to mine.

The result was a different sorta breakfast for me (which is what I was wanting) and it did fill me up so I went until lunch without any snacking.

PRINT RECIPE.



PROATS or PROTEIN OATMEAL

1/2   cup milk (I used skim milk)

1/3   cup rolled oats (I used Old Fashioned)

pinch of salt

1      beaten egg

berries, nuts, chocolate chips, or seeds (optional)


In a medium sized microwaveable bowl, combine the milk, oats, and salt.

Cook on High for 1.5 minutes in the microwave. 


Remove from the microwave and stir in the beaten egg.

Return to the microwave and cook for another 30 to 45 seconds. I cooked mine the 45 seconds. (The very center of mine hadn't completely cooked, 
so I stirred the mixture and cooked for 15 more seconds.)


Can top with berries, nuts, chocolate chips, or seeds if you like.

Enjoy!

UPDATE...

my breakfast thus morning. Topped it with some unsweetened coconut, sugar-free dark chocolate chips, and broken up pecans. Yummy







I ended up taking a walk in the neighborhood and then came back and sat in my swing and enjoyed the breeze and my flowers I have recently planted. Oh! And the birds singing. There were so many. 



I also received a text from my granddaughter Madison and we "talked" for a while. All-in-all it was a very enjoyable morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment