Wednesday, March 31, 2021

FUDGE-TOPPED BROWNIES

 Once again this past Sunday I found myself in a familiar situation of not having all of the ingredients for the recipe I had planned to make to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop and once again I had to try to find something else to make that would be fast and easy. I settled on this recipe I had loose in a recipe-to-try folder.

It was fairly fast and definitely easy and most importantly a big hit at the thrift shop. It was supposed to make 36 to 40 brownies in just a 9 x 13 - inch pan. That read "rich" to me so I didn't cut them into my usual 24 servings. I figured if anyone wanted some extra "rich" they could just take two pieces. I ended up taking Friend Fran five brownies since I did have a few extras. I was running late because I was waiting on the gas technician to come check for a gas link in the laundry room so I missed the first morning break the volunteers usually take. One volunteer remarked that the icing was thicker than usual and another volunteer told her that was the fudge. It is important to serve the brownies at room temperature so the fudge isn't too hard. I chilled the pan in the refrigerator overnight and that was a little too long.



FUDGE-TOPPED BROWNIES 

1     cup butter, melted

2     cups sugar

1     cup unsifted flour

2/3  cup cocoa

1/2  teaspoon baking powder

2     eggs

1/2  cup milk

3     teaspoons vanilla extract, divided

1     cup chopped nuts, optional (I did omit.)

1     (12-ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used mini-chocolate chips)

1      (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a 9 x 13 - inch pan.







In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, eggs, milk, and 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla; beat well.


(I just combined the dry ingredients with a whisk,

then the wet ingredients, and

finally mixed the two together with a spatula, but

did end up beating the batter on medium for a bit.) Stir in nuts, if you are using them.

Spread batter in the baking pan.

Bake 40 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.

Just before the brownies are done, melt the chocolate chips with the sweetened condensed milk and the vanilla extract. You can do this either in a heavy saucepan over low heat or in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave stopping to stir every 20 seconds until melted.

(I did the latter and heated it for a total of 40 seconds stirring after each 20 seconds.

I stirred the mixture after the second time until

all of the mini-chips had melted.

Then I added the vanilla extract
.)

Immediately spread over hot brownies. Cool. Chill.

Cut into bars. 









Store covered at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment