Wednesday, March 24, 2021

AMISH HONEY BARS

 I still have not found the recipe I had planned to make and take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop for the volunteers last week. I figured I would find it after I made the decision to make something else, but I haven't. So this week I waited until Sunday afternoon to find something to make and then proceeded to make it. No lost recipe this time.

I found this recipe for Honey Bars in Lovina Eicher  with Kevin Williams' cookbook, The Amish Cook's Baking Book. I love the cookbook and how they chose to represent the recipe on one page and a full page picture on the opposite page. Another nice thing? My results compared with their picture. Yay!!! 

When I got to the thrift shop the "guys" were waiting at a table for me. They had invited a new guy John to join them. They made such a dent in the bars as it was and then Terry said he was going to take one home for his wife to enjoy. The bars were well received which is always nice since I don't usually eat anything before I take it. I told John this and told him he was joining a group I called my Guinea pigs or taste testers. He said he liked them; that they were good.



HONEY BARS


1       cup sugar

2       cups flour

1       teaspoon baking soda

1-1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1       large egg, lightly beaten

3/4    cup oil

1/4    cup honey

1       cup walnuts, chopped

     *     *     *

GLAZE

1       cup powdered sugar

1       teaspoon vanilla extract

1       tablespoon water

2       tablespoons mayonnaise (I used Miracle Whip Salad Dressing)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


In a large bowl, stir the sugar. flour, baking soda, and cinnamon until evenly mixed.

Then add in the egg, oil, and honey. 


Stir until smooth.

Then add the nuts.


Spoon the mixture into a 9 x 13 - inch pan evenly.

Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

To make the glaze:


In a small bowl, stir together the powdered sugar, vanilla, water, and mayonnaise until

smooth and creamy. (I used a whisk.)

Spread onto the honey bars while they are still warm with a spoon. 









Cut in squares to serve.








Store the bars in a sealed container or cake safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment