Friday, March 19, 2021

GOLDEN SCALLOPED POTATOES

 When we eat potatoes 95% of the time they will be sweet potatoes. We quit eating potatoes, except sweet potatoes, about 18 years ago when we started following the Sugar Buster's Lifestyle. Even though we don't completely follow it any longer, some beliefs have stuck with us.

Saying that when I saw this recipe for scalloped potatoes, I just had to try it. I do love scalloped potatoes. I always check before I eat them to make sure the cook didn't include onions. This recipe didn't call for onions, but if it had, I would have just left them out. The recipe reminded me of some scalloped potatoes I enjoyed once when the Northland New Neighbors League went to lunch at the Culinary Center of Kansas City in Overland Park, KS. I don't remember the main course they served that day, but I do remember the scalloped potatoes. I liked them so much I asked how they were made. 

This recipe sounded like what I remembered being told except that they layered the sliced potatoes with the sauce poured between layers. This recipe didn't pour the sauce until the end and said to stir. This seemed a little hard to do so I did it like the Culinary School did. 



GOLDEN SCALLOPED POTATOES


1/4     cup butter

3        tablespoons flour

1        teaspoon salt

Dash pepper

3        cups milk

4-5     Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (I didn't peel my potatoes)



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a 9 - inch square baking dish. Set aside.


In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.

Combine the flour, salt, and pepper and

then stir in

until smooth.

Gradually add milk.

Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or

until thickened and bubbly.


Place a layer of potatoes in bottom of the baking dish.

Cover with a little sauce.


Repeat until you have almost filled the bowl or used as many potatoes as you wish. 


Cover and bake for 30 minutes.

Uncover and

bake 30 to 40 more minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Sprinkle a little pepper on top before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment