Wednesday, March 17, 2021

PECAN MORNING CASSEROLE

 Friday evening I informed Wayne that we would be having our special breakfast on Sunday instead of Saturday because I didn't have all of the ingredients I needed to make it. I had known all week what I was going to make Saturday morning but midweek when I went to the store to get some ingredients I needed for other dishes, I didn't think about checking the recipe to see what I needed for the Saturday breakfast.

I think all week I had been counting down the day s til Friday because Friday was the end of our 2-week wait-time to be fully vaccinated. I wanted to celebrate the day by doing something but it was a rainy day and we didn't really have anywhere to go so we stayed home. I had intended to go have my nails done, but when I called to make an appointment, I ended up going in on Thursday. It feels so good having them done. 

I had gone in back in the early summer last year but that was the last time. I wanted my nails to look pretty for Saturday night when the Tasty Bunch minus one couple were gathering at Friend Carol's house free of masks since we were all fully vaccinated. Carol served a delicious dessert that I will be sharing soon.  I had Wayne take a picture of Friends Carol, Janice, and me to remember the occasion. It felt so good having someone ride in our car with us and then of course gather in Carol and Keith's home.

After we got home I prepared the casserole as it is one of those you make ahead of time and let it soak in the refrigerator overnight. Really nice if you have company and just want to pot something in the oven the next morning. I did have to prepare the topping Sunday morning but it didn't take too long. I had to wait for the oven to preheat anyway. I decided to make a smaller version of the recipe; basically cutting it in half. You can do the same thing if you don't want to use a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.



PECAN MORNING CASSEROLE


1       package (8 ounces) precooked sausage links

1       loaf raisin bread, cubed 

6       eggs

1-1/2 cups milk

1-1/2 cups half and half

1       teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4    teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4    teaspoon ground cinnamon

     *     *     *

TOPPING

1        cup packed brown sugar

1        cup coarsely chopped pecans

1/2     cup (1 stick) butter, softened

2        tablespoons maple syrup


Prepare in a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan with non-stick spray.


Cube raisin bread and put in baking dish.

Brown sausage ; drain and

cut into bite size pieces.

Spread evenly over bread, pressing down.


In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, milk, half and half, vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon until blended.

Pour over bread and sausage.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.







Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 


Prepare topping, combine sugar, butter, syrup, and pecans til

well blended.

Spoon by flat teaspoonfuls over surface of casserole.

Drizzle the maple syrup over the topping.


Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. (I had to cook my smaller version that long, so it will probably take longer in a 9 x 13 - inch pan.)

Allow to cool a bit before cutting in squares to serve.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment