Monday, March 22, 2021

CUBE STEAK PARMIGIANA

 As much as I love chicken fried steak when we go out to eat, you would think I would make it at home or at least something with cube steak. I can't remember the last time I bought cube steak and cooked it until now.

I saw a recipe for Cube Steak Parmigiana and since I also love chicken Parmigiana so much, I figured how could I go wrong. So I set off to the store to buy some cube steaks. The recipe used 4 cube steaks so I generally halved the recipe. I say generally because I knew I wouldn't have enough for the breading and coating if I didn't double the ingredients. So if you make 4 steaks, you might have to increase my amounts.

Except for probably cooking them about 5 minutes too long, they had a good taste. I changed the cooking time for the recipe to reflect that 5 minutes too long.



CUBE STEAK PARMIGIANA

3       tablespoons flour

1/4    teaspoon salt

dash of pepper

1       egg

1-1/2 tablespoons water

10     saltine crackers, crushed

2-1/2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese 

1/2    teaspoon dried basil

2       beef cube steaks

3       tablespoons oil

2/3    cup tomato sauce

1       teaspoon sugar

1/2    teaspoon dried oregano

1/4    teaspoon garlic powder

shredded mozzarella cheese or 2 slices

2-1/2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese (I used more of the grated.)



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a baking dish that will hold the 2 steaks. Set aside.


In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt, and pepper.

In another bowl, beat egg and water. Place cracker crumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, and basil in a third bowl. (Pie plates work great for this.)

Coat steaks with flour mixture,

then dip in egg mixture,

and finally coat with crumb mixture. 

In a large skillet, brown steaks in oil for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. 



Arrange steaks in baking dish and

bake uncovered for 20 - 25 minutes. While they are baking, combine the tomato sauce, sugar, oregano, and garlic powder in a bowl.

Spoon over steaks after they have baked the 20 - 25 minutes.

Bake for 10 more minutes.


Top each steak with mozzarella cheese, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and more dried oregano.

Return to oven and bake 2 to 3 more minutes or until cheese is melted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment