Tuesday, March 2, 2021

MAKEOVER PINEAPPLE NUT CAKE

 The sun was shining in the windows of the back porch so I decided it was good use of my afternoon to do some rearranging and cleaning. I was also moving a outdoor plant rack that I had moved into the dining room out to the back porch and move one of racks I had on the back porch back outside. On one of the racks I had a stack of magazines I need to go through to see if there are any recipes I want to try. 

After I was done, I picked up the top magazine Taste of Home - Healthy Cooking, April/May 2008. On page nine (I had already dog eared the page) was a yummy picture and the recipe for this Makeover Pineapple Nut Cake. It looked fast and easy so I knew I had found what I was going to make and take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop for the volunteers yesterday. 

It was just as fast and easy as I thought it would be and just as delicious as the picture looked. By the time I got through cleaning there were only 3 pieces left. Word got around among the volunteers. One made a point of telling me I had brought a "winner". 



 MAKEOVER PINEAPPLE NUT CAKE

2       cup flour

1/2    cup sugar

1/2    cup sugar blend for baking

2       teaspoons baking soda

2       eggs, beaten

1       can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained

1/2    cup chopped pecans or walnuts

FROSTING:

1       package (8 ounces) reduced - fat cream cheese

2       tablespoons butter, softened

1-1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted

1       teaspoon vanilla extract (I use clear vanilla extract so the frosting is white.)



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. Set aside.


In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, sugar blend, and baking soda with a whisk.

Combine eggs and pineapple in a smaller bowl and stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.


Fold in nuts.


Spread in pan and bake 32 - 38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

(I just press lightly in the center of the pan. Cake should spring back.)

Cool completely on a wire rack.


For frosting
: in a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy.

Add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth.

Frost cake. 


















Cover and store in the refrigerator. 


No comments:

Post a Comment