Tuesday, March 9, 2021

FIVE-STAR BROWNIES

 March continues to be a blessing with the temperatures warm enough to play outside with my MO grandchildren, helping with the Hospitality Team at church with Drive-Thru Communion and a service for the confirmation class to join the church, volunteering at the thrift shop, Hillcrest Platte County, and enjoying my glider on the back porch. We have chances of our first thunderstorms later this week, but that's what happens when it warms up.

I finally decided to try this recipe for Five-Star Brownies that I collected years ago in my Blue Binder. I think the name "Five-Star" comes not from just the fact they taste great, but that they suggested cutting the brownies using a star cutter or bars. I think cutting them into shapes would be perfect for a party or special occasion. 



FIVE-STAR BROWNIES

3       eggs

2       cups sugar

1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2    cup (1 stick) butter, melted

1/4    cup shortening, melted

1-1/2 cups flour

3/4    cup baking cocoa

1-1/4 teaspoons salt

1       cup chopped nuts, optional (I used walnuts.)



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13 x 9 - inch baking pan with foil and grease or spray the foil. Extend the foil over the ends of the pan. Set aside.


In a mixing bowl, beat eggs sugar, and vanilla

until well mixed.

Add melted butter and shortening.

Blend until mixed scraping the sides of the bowl often.

Combine the flour, cocoa, and salt with a whisk.

Stir into egg mixture a little at a time and

mix well. Don't forget to scrape the sides of the bowl.

Add nuts, if desired.


Spread batter into pan and bake for 30 minutes or until brownies test done with a toothpick or springs back in the center if you touch it lightly with your fingertips. Cool in pan.

When cool, lift brownies out using the foil. Peel back foil from edges.

Cut with a star cutter or into bars. 




Here are pictures of Madison and Tyler from Saturday.

Tyler wanted to ride his four-wheeler.

Madison and I did soccer drills so I couldn't get a picture. Later they came back to our house while Patrick went to the store. I remembered I hadn't taken a picture of her so I took this picture of her watching YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment