Thursday, March 11, 2021

CARAMEL POPCORN

 One more day and our two weeks following our second COVID-19 vaccine shot will be here. So glad the CDC says we can meet with our friends who are also finished with their vaccinations. In many ways it has been a long year, but we have tried to be safe and will continue to be safe but it will be so good to gather with friends.

Almost two weeks ago we took Friend Fran 120 miles to Unionville to get her first vaccine shot. She told me on the way there that her daughter Sheila had made some caramel popcorn and had a bag for me. I love caramel popcorn. My mother used to make it and one time I tried her recipe but it didn't turn out as good as hers and I haven't tried it again. 

When we got back to Fran's house, she remembered the popcorn and gave me the bag. It was so good so of course I told Fran to get Sheila's recipe. I don't have my usual pictures since I didn't make it, but I hope to make it myself soon so I will add some pictures when I do.



CARAMEL POPCORN

8     quarts popped popcorn or 5 bags of microwave popcorn, popped (Sheila uses the microwave popcorn.)

1     pkg salted peanuts, optional (Sheila did not add nuts.)

1     cup (2 sticks) butter

2     cups brown sugar

1/2  cup white syrup

1     teaspoon salt

2     teaspoons butter flavoring (Sheila prefers butter extract.)

1/2  teaspoon baking soda


Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

Put brown sugar, butter, syrup, and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil 5 minutes.

Remove from heat and add the baking soda and butter flavoring. 

Put popped corn in a big enough bowl to hold it all and pour mixture over the popped corn, stirring thoroughly.

Pour into two 9 x 13 - inch pans. 

Bake for one hour, breaking apart every 15 minutes. 

Store in an air-tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment