Monday, March 1, 2021

BACON QUICHE

 Every Saturday in 2021 we have had something special for breakfast until this past Saturday. I had a good reason and made up for it by having a special breakfast yesterday. Saturday morning we drove Friend Fran 120 miles to get her first COVID-19 vaccine shot.

Since I knew I wouldn't have time to make anything before we left to pick her up, I actually hadn't picked out something to make. I do have my list of possibilities so it didn't take me long Saturday night to chose something. 

I admit we were a little tired Saturday night because we had driven 80 miles to get our second shot on Friday. I am so glad we are done with ours and counting the days until two weeks pass. We were especially glad that Fran finally got an appointment because she was signed up just about everywhere possible but hadn't gotten called or emailed to schedule an appointment until last week. We will be taking her back in three weeks and then she will have two weeks to wait. Everyone in the canasta group has gotten at least the first shot and two of us are done. Looks like we will be able to start getting together to play sometime in April.

I decided to make this quiche and it was my first one to make. The recipe came from The Stacked Arms, a B & B in Wiscasset, Maine. I had all of the ingredients except the evaporated milk, but while I cooked 15 (it only calls for 12, but I cooked 15) slices of bacon, Wayne went to the store and got me some.

Since I have never made one before I didn't question baking it at 300 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes. But after 25 minutes, my quiche was no well close to being done. 

I googled quiches to see if I could find some videos to see what they looked like when they were taken from the oven. The first thing I noticed was the temperature they were baked at -- all either 350 or 375. Some were even baked for 45 minutes. I ended up increasing the temperature to 375 in the oven but didn't set the timer so I can't say exactly how long it baked. 

I am changing the recipe to reflect the average temperature and baking time for the ones I found online. I would strongly urge you to watch it closely toward the end so that you don't overbake it. I also should have used a 10 - inch pie crust. I couldn't get all of the mixture in my deep-dish 9 - inch crust. 

It turned out great and I even took a piece over to Fran for her lunch and to apologize for tiring her out the day before. She sent me a text later telling me she had had a delicious lunch!!



BACON QUICHE

5       eggs

2       cups evaporated milk

3/4    teaspoon salt (We decided I could omit the salt the next time.)

Dash nutmeg

Pinch sugar

Dash cayenne pepper (I used paprika and used twice as much - 2 dashes)

Dash black pepper

     *     *     *

12       strips bacon, crisply fried

Large unbaked pie shell (10 - inch at least)

1-1/3  cups grated Cheddar cheese


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 


Beat the eggs -

add the milk and seasonings and beat together.


Crumble the bacon and add to mixture.

Carefully pour into pie shell.


Sprinkle the cheese on top.

Because my pie crust wasn't big enough, I placed the quiche on a cookie sheet incase it spilled over as it baked.

Bake 30 to 45 minutes or until the quiche has puffed and browned.

Allow 15 minutes for cooling. 


I have these 3 darling little measuring spoons for dash, pinch, and smidgen. If you ever see them and don't have them, I would highly recommend buying them.



No comments:

Post a Comment