Friday, March 5, 2021

CLASSIC MACARONI SALAD

 It feels like Spring has arrived in KCMO. I know it hasn't and we will probably have some more cold days before the month is over, but hopefully they will just be cool instead of cold days or nights. But this week the upper 50s and 60s have been really pleasant. And next week they are forecasting 70 for two days.  

That's why when I was looking for a new recipe this one for Classic Macaroni Salad looked just what the days were calling for. I didn't have any fat-free mayo as the makeover recipe called for in the Taste of Home Light & Tasty magazine from the June/July 2005 issue, but that was okay. I use Miracle Whip anyway and they do have a fat-free option but I think it contains high-fructose corn syrup which we try to avoid.

Wayne was surprised at how good it tasted. He was expecting a hot dish when I told him I had made a macaroni salad so a cold salad he was not expecting. It makes 8 servings so I told him I was glad he liked it because we would be eating it for several days.



CLASSIC MACARONI SALAD

2     cups uncooked elbow macaroni

1     cup fat-free mayonnaise (I used regular Miracle Whip)

2     tablespoons sweet pickle relish

Sugar substitute equivalent to 2 teaspoons sugar

3/4   teaspoon ground mustard

1/4   teaspoon salt

1/8   teaspoon pepper

1/2   cup chopped celery

1/3   cup chopped carrots

1/4   cup chopped onion (optional)

1      hard-cooked egg, sliced

Dash paprika



Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Cool completely.

For dressing:


in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pickle relish, sugar substitute, mustard, salt, and pepper.

In a large bowl combine the macaroni, celery, carrot, and onion if you are using it.

Add dressing and toss gently to coat. (
I did the last two things just the opposite. Worked fine.)

Cover bowl with wrap and refrigerate until serving.

Garnish with egg and paprika.

No comments:

Post a Comment