Monday, March 8, 2021

COCONUT-GLAZED ORANGE SCONES

I have found quite a few of really good recipes in that stack of magazines I found when I did some rearranging of "plant" stands that I have been using as cookbook racks this winter on my back porch and in the dining room. Most of the magazines were Taste of Home Light and Tasty magazines from 2005-2006.. That was a nice surprise since I do try to reduce the sugar as much as I can in recipes.

This recipe for Coconut-Glazed Orange Scones came from the Feb-Mar 2006 issue. I got up first Saturday morning so I could get them made by the time Wayne was ready for breakfast. The first thing Wayne said after taking his first bite, " they are so light." I wanted to tell him the recipe came from a "Light and Tasty" cookbook, but I didn't. He went on to say that so many scones are not light, but even heavy tasting. He is correct. 



COCONUT-GLAZED ORANGE SCONES


3-3/4    cups self-rising flour*

1/4       cup sugar

2          teaspoons baking powder

1/2       cup cold butter

2          eggs

1          cup fat-free milk

1          teaspoon grated orange peel (I used dried orange peel)

     *     *     *

1/2        cup powdered sugar

1/4        teaspoon coconut extract

1+         tablespoon fat-free milk



Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray  2 cookie sheets with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.


In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder with a whisk.

Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

(I cut thin slices of butter and then work in a few at a times with my fingers.)

In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and milk, and orange peel and

then stir into crumb mixture

just until moistened. I started with a wooden spoon and then had to resort to my hand to finish.

The last little bit I just dropped on top of the dough that I dumped onto a floured surface. Knead 10 times.


Roll or press into a 14 x 8 - inch rectangle. Using a floured pizza cutter, cut widthwise into 2 - inch strips, then cut diagonally into 2 - inch strips forming diamond shapes.

(I goofed and cut first lengthwise strips and then diagonally widthwise. In my defense, I think I made the mistake because when I cut a cake in a 13 x 9 - inch pan, I first cut lengthwise and then across the width. I then had to take the pieces and reworked them and recut them. If you cut as it was directed, you won't have any odd-shapes left.


Place the scones 2 inches apart on baking sheets.

Bake for 8 - 10 minutes or until lightly browned. (Mine did not lightly brown but I removed them because they were just right on the bottom.)


Remove to wire racks. 







For glaze:


combine the powdered sugar and coconut extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency;

drizzle over scones.

Serve warm. 









(I made a little extra glaze because I wanted a little bit more glaze on the scones.)

*As a substitute for self-rising flour, place 5-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1-3/4 teaspoons salt in a measuring cup. Add flour to measure 1 cup. Add another 2-3/4 cups flour.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment