Monday, June 4, 2018

SLOW-COOKER SPOON PEACHES

I don't know what it was about this recipe that made me want to try it. Maybe it was the words "slow-cooker" - it has really been hot here. Seems like we just skipped over spring and went straight to summer. Or maybe the word "spoon". Spoon makes it sound so simple and easy. But it was probably the word "peaches" that sold me. 

Peaches are one of my favorite fruits. Maybe my favorite. When we lived in California, we had a peach tree in our yard. Correction. We had the best peach tree in our yard. We got so many peaches off it. I would spend days of my summer vacation making peach jam so we could enjoy it the rest of the year. I would also make different cobblers. While I always make my peach jam by the same recipe, I do enjoy making cobblers by different recipes. That's probably why I thought this would be a fun recipe to try.

Manheim, PA's Jeannette Oberholtzer contributed her recipe in Phyllis Pellman Good and Dawn J. Ranck's cookbook, Fix-It and Forget-It Recipes for Entertaining, Slow Cooker Favorites for All the Year Round.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE A PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE, CLICK HERE.



SLOW-COOKER SPOON PEACHES

1/3     cup sugar (I used stevia)
1/2     cup brown sugar (I used 1/4 cup brown sugar blend)
3/4     cup buttermilk baking mix
2        eggs
2        teaspoons vanilla
2        teaspoons butter, melted
3/4     cup evaporated milk (half of a 12- ounce can)
2        cups mashed peaches, fresh, frozen, or canned (if canned drain slightly) (I used fresh peaches I froze)
3/4     teaspoon cinnamon


Combine the sugars (stevia/stevia blend) and baking mix. 


Add eggs and vanilla.
Mix well.


Add butter and milk.
Mix well.


Add peaches and cinnamon.
Mix well.


Pour into greased slow cooker.




Cover. Cook on low 6 - 8 hours. (I cooked it for 6 hours and then set it on Keep Warm because we weren't ready to eat it.)


Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.








Jeannette added a footnote that "this is a great warm dessert for a cold winter evening". It is also a great warm dessert for a warm summer evening. It is soft and has the consistency of some bread puddings I have had. I used the sugar substitutes so the flavor of the fresh peaches were strong and not sugar.

My peaches are still so pretty even after being frozen for almost a year. You can see how I freeze them here.


No comments:

Post a Comment