Tuesday, June 5, 2018

SELF FROSTING DATE CAKE

Instead of volunteering at Hillcrest Thrift Shop last Tuesday, I had a fun day hanging out with the MO grandkids while their parents were at work. I hadn't even chosen anything to bake when dil Lori sent me the text. The good news is I had gone in on Saturday morning before and did manage to make this Self Frosting Date Cake the afternoon before. (Friend Janice and I have been going to estate sales on Thursday when we have nothing to do on Thursdays. Most sales used to begin on Fridays, but the last year or so most are starting on Thursdays and then running three days.)

This recipe is another one I found in the Amish - Country Cookbook, Volume I. This one was contributed by Fannie R. Yutzy who was/is (?) a Pie Maker at Das Dutchman Essenhaus in Middlebury, Indiana. I have made other date cakes, but this one was different. It was so moist and delicious. I don't think I have to tell you that it didn't last long at the thrift shop, do I?

IF YOU WOULD LIKE A PRINTABLE VERSION OF THE RECIPE, CLICK HERE.



SELF FROSTING DATE CAKE

1       cup chopped dates
1-1/2 cups boiling water
1       teaspoon soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 - inch pan.

Sprinkle soda over dates,
then pour boiling water over all.

Cream:

1/2    cup shortening
2       beaten eggs
1       cup sugar (I removed 6 teaspoons)

Then add to date mixture
and sift:


2       cups flour
1/2    teaspoon salt
3/4    teaspoon soda
Add to date mixture and mix well. 
Pour into pan. Spread with the following topping

Topping

1       6 - oz (1 cup) chocolate chips
1/2    cup brown sugar
1/2    cup chopped nuts

Mix and sprinkle over cake.

Bake for 35 minutes.

(Cool on wire rack.)

Cut in squares when ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment