Friday, June 8, 2018

LEMON CURD BARS

There was an older lady in our church in Ventura, CA who made lemon curd each year with her daughter. Then she would bring some to the Ladies Bazaar that the United Methodist Women of the church had in the fall for missions. It was so good. I always think of her when I see or hear (the words) lemon curd.

Well, when I saw this recipe called Lemon Curd Bars I was intrigued. I have seen recipes for lemon curd but have never tried any of them. I was a little surprised when I saw the ingredients and after making these bars and eating them, I think I would call them Lemon Coconut Bars. 

Whatever you call them, they are soooooo good. Everyone at canasta where I served them yesterday really enjoyed them. 

I found Hildagarde Leishman's recipe in The Cafe Doelger Cookbook compiled and written by volunteers of the Doelger Senior Center in Daly City, CA. Hildagarde was the editor. Some of the recipes in the cookbook have been reduced to serve one or two people, whenever possible. Since cakes, pies, breads, etc often can't be reduced, they are left as is in the cookbook. The cookbook also includes many recipes for
"company".


IF YOU WOULD LIKE A PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE, CLICK HERE.


LEMON CURD BARS

1       cup flour
1/2    cup powdered sugar
1/2    cup butter, melted (I stick)
1       cup sugar (I removed 6 teaspoons of the sugar)
1/2    teaspoon baking powder
2       slightly beaten eggs
2       tablespoons lemon juice
2       tablespoons grated lemon peel
1/2    cup flaked coconut (I used flaked unsweetened coconut)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease an 8 x 8 - inch pan.

Sift together the flour and powdered sugar.
Melt the butter and add it to the flour mixture.

Stir with a fork
til well mixed.

Press the mixture into pan
and bake for 20 minutes.

While mixture is baking, combine the sugar and baking powder in a small mixing bowl.

Add eggs, lemon juice, lemon peel, and coconut.
Mix til completely blended.

Pour mixture over baked, warm crust.
(I always use a spatula to get every little bit out of the bowl.

Return to oven and bake 25 more minutes.

Cool on wire rack.
When completely cook, sprinkle with additional powdered sugar.

Cut into squares to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment