Wednesday, June 27, 2018

LEMON BISQUE

When my "Farkle" friends came over on Monday and I served them chicken salad for a light lunch, I also served them this Lemon Bisque for dessert. It is a "light" tasting dessert and was just what the afternoon called for. 

Mrs. Samuel Janzen of Greensburg, Kansas shared the recipe in the cookbook, Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking, A Mennonite Community Cookbook by Mary Emma Showalter.
I basically followed Mrs. Janzen's recipe except I omitted the 1/2 cup sugar. I didn't feel it was needed since it was being added to a package of lemon gelatin that already contained plenty of sugar (in my mind). I told the other "ladies" I had omitted it and they didn't feel it was needed either.

Mrs. Janzen said to cut it in squares to serve it. It held up as squares, but I decided to serve it in my sherbet glasses. 

PRINT RECIPE



LEMON BISQUE

1         package lemon gelatin (4 - serving size)
1-1/4   cups boiling water
Juice and rind of 1 lemon (3 tablespoons lemon juice + 3 teaspoons dried lemon peel)
1/2      cup sugar (I omitted)
1-1/2   cups evaporated milk, chilled(this was almost all of a 12 - ounce can)
2-1/2   cups vanilla wafer crumbs (I had 10 cookies left in my box of wafers.)
1         cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water.

Add (sugar), lemon juice, and peel.

Chill mixture until congealed.

Beat until fluffy.

Whip chilled evaporated milk until stiff.

Add to congealed mixture.

Add chopped nuts.

Spread half of the crumbs in the bottom of a baking dish or oblong pan 7 x 9 inches. (The base of my dish measured 7 x 9 inches.)

Carefully add mixture
and then top with remaining crumbs.


Let stand in refrigerator overnight.

Cut in squares when ready to serve
(or serve in sherbet glasses).









Makes 8 - 10 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment