Friday, June 1, 2018

MACARONI AND CHEESE

My grandson Tyler LOVES mac 'n cheese. He loves it so much that when his mother, Lori, asked me to come watch the children Tuesday, I considered taking the ingredients to make this Macaroni and Cheese recipe I found in the Fix-It and Forget-It Recipes for Entertaining (Slow Cooker Favorites for All the Year Round) by Phyllis Pellman Good & Dawn J. Ranck. 

The recipe was contributed by Leona Yoder of Hartville, OH. Her personal note on the recipe was "This recipe is an oven-saver. Fifty-sixty children eat this delightedly - in fact, it's one of their favorite meals - at the day school where I cook. Menu Idea - Macaroni and Cheese, Lil' Smokie Sausages, Applesauce, Fresh Veggies with Dip, and Streamed Green Beans." Sounds like a good lunch for a school says I, the retired teacher of 25 years teaching.

After reading her note, I thought, "I am sure Tyler will like this." Well, I didn't make it for them because I got delayed getting ready to leave and I didn't have enough time to get the ingredients together before I had to leave to get to their house on time before Lori had to leave for work. Still wanting to make it though, I just ended up making it for us Wednesday night.

I admit when I ready the directions, I wondered why bother with the slow cooker since I am preparing everything on the stove. I also wasn't sure the time cooking was enough in the slow cooker to do anything. Boy was I surprised when I opened the lid at the end of the 45 minutes. When I poured the mixture in the slow cooker from the pan, there was quite a bit of liquid. Forty-five minutes later it was all gone.

Now I realize it would be a good dish to cook earlier and just lower the temperature to Keep Warm. It was very good and I am surely going to try to find a time to make it for Tyler and granddaughter Madison.

I cut the recipe in half because I only had 8 - ounces (2 cups) dry macaroni. You can probably cut the recipe in half yourself, but I will put the reduced amounts in parenthesis.
I used my 3 - quart slow cooker and it was full at the end of cooking time. So if you make the full recipe, remember to use a large slow cooker.


MACARONI AND CHEESE

2-3     tablespoons butter (1-1/2)
1        quart milk (2 cups)
1        lb. mild cheese grated, or Velveeta cheese, cubed (8 - ounces) (I used the latter)
1/2     teaspoon salt (1/4)
1/8     teaspoon pepper (dash)
1        lb. macaroni, cooked al dente and rinsed (8 - ounces or 2 cups dry macaroni)

Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.

I used the Velveeta cheese and measured 8 ounces using my kitchen scales and then sliced it and cut it in small cubes so it would melt easier.





Cook the macaroni according to box directions.

While it is cooking, melt the butter in a large saucepan.
Add milk. Heat slowly but do not boil (medium - low temperature)

When very hot, stir in cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted.


Stir in macaroni that you drained and rinsed after cooking it.




Pour mixture in slow cooker.

Cover. Cook on High 15 minutes, then on Low 30 minutes.

Stir mixture when ready to serve. If not ready to serve, reduce temperature to Keep Warm setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment