Monday, June 18, 2018

COOKIES - AND - CREAM CAKE

This week's extra special cake mix cake is one I have heard of before, but never made. I have no idea if this recipe is the same as earlier ones I have seen or not. Anyway, this one came from Stephanie Ashcraft's 101 Things to Do With A Cake Mix cookbook.

I made the cake (as usual) the night before I took it to Hillcrest Thrift Shop for the volunteers and stored it covered in the refrigerator. When I first started treating the volunteers to my sweets, I was only "treating" the ones downstairs. A couple of the volunteers who worked upstairs and came down to eat lunch with us, knew about and enjoyed whatever I brought. Now that the shop has moved to our new location and everything is on one floor, more people know about it. That means the dessert sometimes doesn't last very long before it is all gone. This Cookies and Cream Cake didn't last very long.

PRINT RECIPE



COOKIES - AND - CREAM CAKE

1       white cake mix
1-1/4 cups water
1/3    cup oil
3       egg whites
1-1/2 cups Oreo cookies, crushed (12 cookies)
1       can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
1/2    cup Oreo cookies, crushed (4 cookies)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch pan.


In large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil, and egg whites until smooth.
(I used the low speed for about 20 - 30 seconds to wet the ingredients and
then increased the speed to medium and beat the mixture for 2 minutes.) Don't forget to scrape the sides of the bowl.


Fold in the crushed cookies.
(I crushed the cookies in a ziplock bag using my rolling pin. I used a spatula to scrape the cream filling off the inside of the bag.)
Spread cake batter in pan.
If you have any places where the cookies are not blended well, just gently stir the batter around in the pan to combine. 
Bake for 25 - 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 


Cool completely (on wire rack).


Spread frosting over the top of the cake and then sprinkle some crushed cookies over the top.





Store in the refrigerator covered. Cut in squares to serve. Serves 24.




No comments:

Post a Comment