Tuesday, June 26, 2018

CHICKEN SALAD


We got back Saturday evening from our trip to Colorado to visit with family. Sunday morning was taken up with church activities so I spent Sunday afternoon getting ready for hosting the Farkle group Monday afternoon. Monday morning we had to return the rental van (We took a bedroom suit that belonged to my husband's family when he was still at home to our oldest grandson, Colby.) and I also had my 2 year bone density test. (Great news - since I have been taking a generic for Evista for two years, all areas had improved except my left hip but it had not changed.) 

Since my time was limited, I decided the easiest thing for me to make to serve them was chicken salad. That just may be my go-to dish to make when I am hosting. It is so easy because I just put two frozen chicken breasts in the slow cooker and cook them on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, then shred them after they cool a little bit, and then add the other ingredients. The last time the canasta group met at my house I made my Walnut Chicken Salad but made it with pecans instead. Everyone loved it. 

Today the group liked the fruit in the chicken salad. Crazy how many different ways you can make a simple dish. This recipe was one of Olive Bontrager's recipe. Olive is/was a cashier at Das Dutchman Essenhaus (Amish-Country Cookbook Volume I) in Middlebury, Indiana.

PRINT RECIPE 




CHICKEN SALAD

3     cups diced cooked chicken
1/2  cups thinly sliced celery
1     cup drained mandarin oranges
1     cup drained crushed pineapple
1/2  cup grapes (cut in half)
1/4  cup mayonnaise
1/4  cup sour cream
1/2  teaspoon lemon juice
1     teaspoon sugar

Combine the chicken, celery, oranges, pineapple, and grapes.




Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, and sugar in a small bowl.

Pour over chicken mixture;
toss gently.

Chill thoroughly. (I made mine the night before and stored it in a bowl with plastic wrap over it.)

Serve on lettuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment