Tuesday, May 22, 2018

FRESH STRAWBERRY PIE

We just got back from Colorado Springs where we were helping our son and his family pack up some of their things. They have sold their house and bought a bigger one to hold their family of nine, three of which are foster children 2 yrs old and younger. I had to cancel several "engagements" but I had fun with my four grandchildren and three foster grandchildren and got almost three-fourths of their kitchen packed.

Mexican Train, at Friend Carla's house, was one of meetings I had to miss. Imagine my surprise when I received a text from Friend Janice with pictures of the dessert and recipes that were served at the gathering. In the past I have asked her to take pictures and send them to me when I wasn't there, but I didn't even think about asking her this time. She apologized for the picture of the pie. She said she forgot to take a picture of the delicious pie but decided to send me a picture of their empty plates. (See below.) 

Then she decided to do the best she could and took a picture of the remaining pie. She said the pie was very good and Carla had made a very good crust. (I will be sharing that recipe tomorrow with you. I made a pie for us and decided to try the recipe for the crust.)


FRESH STRAWBERRY PIE

1       cup sugar
3       tablespoons cornstarch
1       cup water
1       tablespoon lemon juice
2 - 3  drops red food coloring
1       3 - oz (four serving size) pkg strawberry gelatin
1       quart ripe strawberries, halved
1       9 - in baked pie crust or graham cracker crust

In a medium saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch.

Combine thoroughly with water and lemon juice.

Cook over low heat until mixture is thick and clear.

Stir in red food coloring and gelatin.

Cool to room temperature.

Fill pie crust with strawberries.

Pour cooled liquid over berries.

Chill.

Serves 6 - 8.

Their empty plates...




No comments:

Post a Comment