Monday, May 14, 2018

HOMEMADE TRIX BARS

Do I have a treat for you today! If you don't try this recipe, you are really going to regret it. You would think you were eating the "real thing".

The second week of the month is when Blankets of Hope meets on Tuesday morning at the church. I have shared with you before some of the lap throws we have made. The group is small with only five of us, but we have a united love for "quilting" and enjoy each other and we create some beautiful "blankets" that bring some comfort and hope for the people who get one.

But because of the group, I can not go to Hillcrest Thrift Shop to work the register that morning. I usually will chose Monday that week to volunteer. Last Monday when I walked, I stopped by to check the work calendar and saw that I had signed up for the first shift instead of the second one like I thought. Because there were four of us signed up for the first shift and only two for the second shift (and also because I already had it in my mind that I was working the second shift), I marked through my name and rewrote it for the second shift (12:30 to 3:30). I hoped that would give me enough time to make these homemade Trix bars I had decided to make.

Until late Sunday night I didn't have a clue what I was going to take on Monday. Luck would have it that I was "strolling" through Facebook and noticed a posting from Amish365.com for this recipe for Homemade Trix Bars. They looked delicious in the picture so I went to the post to see how they were made and to read what Kevin had to say about the recipe.

I thought I had some club crackers (I had all of the other ingredients), but didn't. So after I got home from my early walk at the thrift shop, I went to the store to get some. I wasn't sure if the bars would have enough time to "set up" since I would only have two hours after I finished them before I would have to leave for the thrift shop, but they were fine.

Needless to say, the volunteers LOVED them and we did too. I ended up keeping four at home instead of the usual two servings I keep. I just couldn't resist after eating a small bite of one.

IF YOU WANT A PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE, CLICK HERE.


HOMEMADE TRIX BARS

club crackers (I used 27 crackers which was about 1-1/2 packages)
1       cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2    cup white sugar
3/4    cup brown sugar
1       stick butter
1/3    cup milk 
1       cup chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate chips)
3/4    cup peanut butter

Line a 9 x 13 - inch pan with club crackers.

Crush graham crackers. An easy way to do this is to place the crackers in a large sized ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
Place graham cracker crumbs, and sugars in a boiler/saucepan and combine.
Add milk and butter that you have cut into thick slices and heat over medium heat,
stirring to melt the butter.


Bring to a boil and
boil/simmer 5 minutes.

Pour and spread over crackers being careful to not disturb the crackers.
Place another layer of club crackers the same way as you laid the first layer. 
Melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter.
(I put them in a smaller boiler/saucepan over low heat. It doesn't take long for the chips to start melting stirring constantly.)


Spread mixture over the crackers evenly.

Place in the refrigerator until set.
(I left mine for 2 hours and it was perfect.)
The nice thing about when it sets up is you can see the outline of the crackers
which is where you want to cut them.


No comments:

Post a Comment