Monday, May 7, 2018

MORNING GLORY MUFFINS

I do sometimes go into Hillcrest Thrift Shop to volunteer on a second day in the week when they are short cashiers. It seems like we have fewer cashier volunteers. I know some quit because they didn't like the new cash registers. Everything is done on a screen now with no "buttons" to push and it takes longer to check shoppers out. As long as everyone is patient and not in a hurry, it works out fine. Key words there are "as long as". Occasionally we have a shopper who should volunteer for a day just to see what it's like.

Saturday was one of those days when no one was signed up to work either the second or third shifts. While I prefer to go in the first shift and have my afternoon to do whatever I need/want to do, I will go in for the second shift if I don't have something I can't put off until later to do. The good thing about going in the second shift (that's from noon to 2:30 on Saturdays since the shop closes at 5 on Saturdays) that gave me time Saturday morning to make these absolutely awesome Morning Glory Muffins.

I saw the recipe in the Hochstedler Family Cookbook. I have seen recipes for Morning Glory Muffins in other Amish cookbooks, but never got around to trying them. Keith Stalter, the grandson of Emanuel and Magdelene (Mattie) Hochstedler and son of  their second daughter Alta, shared this particular recipe.

For once, I followed the recipe as written except I formed two muffins for Daniel (who really appreciates what I bring who doesn't like coconut) and then added the coconut. Daniel misses out on most of my treats because he doesn't work on Tuesdays anymore. He and Duwayne go out in the truck and pick up donations that people schedule. He will also work on the "dock" with donations people drop off. I put his two muffins in a bag for him, but didn't see him until I was leaving. I was talking to some of the other volunteers and all of a sudden I felt these arms go around me from the back. It was Daniel giving me a big hug and saying, "Thank you, Thank you, Thank you." 

It takes a while to grate two cups of carrots, but oh my gosh, it is so worth it. I definitely have to make these muffins again really soon. I only saved myself one muffin and I certainly could have eaten a second one.

Another "full disclosure" moment ...  as I was writing up this recipe, I did a double take when I read the "peeled apple, grated".  Have you guessed where I am going with this? Yes, You are right. I forgot the apple. Actually since I am being totally honest with you, I didn't even read that line. If I had added the apple, I definitely would have made 24 muffins.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE A PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE, CLICK HERE.



MORNING GLORY MUFFINS

3         eggs
1         cup oil
2         teaspoons vanilla
2         cups flour
1-1/4   cups sugar
2         teaspoons soda
1/2      teaspoon salt
2         teaspoons cinnamon
2         cups grated carrots
1         peeled apple, grated
1/2      cup raisins (I used dried cranberries instead.)
1/2      cup nutmeats (I used chopped pecans.)
1/2      cup coconut (I used unsweetened coconut.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two 12 muffin cup pans.

Mix eggs and oil well.
Add vanilla.
Add dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
Add to egg mixture and
stir just enough to moisten. (It's okay if a little flour is showing. When you add the last five ingredients, it will get mixed in.)


Stir (fold) in remaining ingredients (carrots on down the list). (Make sure if you use dried cranberries, they are all separated and not clumped together.)


Divide batter evenly in the 24 cups. (The fuller two on the right side of the pan are the two I made up for Daniel.)

Bake for 20 minutes.

Cool in pans on wire rack. I ran a knife around the sides to loosen the muffins and then let them cool a little longer before I removed them to finish cooling on wire.

TIP: Since I forgot the grated apple, I only made 22 muffins. I thought I would pass along this tip for you just in case you didn't know it. If you are making cupcakes/muffins and you don't have enough batter to fill all of the cups, pour a little water in the empty cups so the muffins will cook evenly. Another tip I could pass along to you is the way I use an ice cream scoop to measure out the batter when I make cupcakes/muffins so they can all be uniform.

No comments:

Post a Comment