Thursday, May 10, 2018

BLACK ROCK BAKED OATMEAL

I love baked oatmeal and have made a number of different recipes. Recently I have been making and sharing recipes from three cookbooks I bought at an estate sale a few weeks ago from Mennonite communities. While checking out recipes from the Hochstedler Family Cookbook, I saw this recipe for Black Rock Baked Oatmeal. At the end of the recipe, it said, "Black Rock Retreat, Lancaster County, PA, is known for its Baked Oatmeal". (You can check out the Black Rock Retreat HERE.)

I really liked this baked oatmeal. I have eaten it with a little milk as the recipe suggested and I have also added my Greek yogurt to some of it and mixed it together. It warms up nicely in the microwave, too.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE A PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE, CLICK HERE.


BLACK ROCK BAKED OATMEAL

1/3         cup oil
1/2         cup brown sugar
1            large egg, beaten
2           cups quick oats
1-1/2     teaspoons baking powder
1/4        teaspoon salt
3/4        cup milk
1           teaspoon cinnamon 
1/2        cup chopped apple
1/4        cup nuts or coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray an 8 x 8 - inch square dish.


Mix the oil, brown sugar, and egg together in a mixing bowl.



Combine the oats, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a smaller mixing bowl.


Add dry ingredients, milk, apple, and nuts or coconut together.


Spoon into baking dish and
bake for 25 minutes.


NOTE: If you are doubling the recipe, increase the baking time approximately 10 minutes and use a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish.

Serve with warm or cold milk.

2 comments:

  1. This is the quintessential Lancaster County comfort breakfast. I lost my beloved recipe card somewhere, and went searching online for an equivalent. The Black Rock version is spot on. Only alteration I had to make was to cook it at 360 for 35 minutes (because my oven is slow apparently). Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete