Monday, May 28, 2018

APPLEBUTTER CAKE

I'm not going to tell you how many jars of applebutter I have bought to make several recipes that called for applebutter only to throw them out because the "use by" date had passed. This time though I looked at the jar early enough to be able to use it in this recipe for Applebutter Cake from the Amish-Country Cookbook, Volume 1 that I told you about yesterday. This recipe was shared by Meda Bontrager, a waitress at the Das Dutchman Essenhaus (Restaurant) in Middlebury, IN. 

It sounded like it would be a good cake to make the night before and take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop the next morning. I like to do that and after storing it in the refrigerator overnight, it is supermoist the next morning. I think it was gone within an hour. Volunteer Jerry said it was so light tasting. It was really, really good.


IF YOU WOULD LIKE A PRINTABLE VERSION FOR THIS RECIPE, CLICK HERE.


APPLEBUTTER CAKE

1/2          cup shortening
1             cup sugar (I used stevia)
4             eggs, beaten
2-1/2       cups flour
1-1/2       teaspoons soda
1/2          teaspoon salt
1             teaspoon cinnamon
1/2          teaspoon cloves
1/2          teaspoon nutmeg
1             cup sour or buttermilk (I used buttermilk)
1             cup applebutter

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease or spray a 9 x 13 - inch pan. 


Beat together shortening and sugar.


Add beaten eggs.



Sift together the flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.


Add dry ingredients alternately with milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.


Mix in applebutter.


Pour into pan.


Bake for 40 minutes or until done. Cool on wire rack.


Dust with powdered sugar before you are ready to serve it. I covered the cake and stored it in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning before I was ready to cut it in squares, I dusted it with sifted powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment