Friday, May 25, 2018

AMISH FUNNY CAKE PIE

When my husband saw me making the Fluffy Strawberry Pie, he showed his disappointment that I wasn't making it for us. To appease him, I told him I would make something just for us. 

I marked this recipe for Funny Cake Pie months ago when I got the Favorite Family Recipes from the Mennonite Community Cookbook by Mary Emma Showalter, but just hadn't gotten around to making it. I had this recipe for the Pat-in-Pan Pie Crust that Friend Carla had made with her Fresh Strawberry Pie. I thought since I didn't have a picture of it to share with her Strawberry Pie that I would make it myself and then I could share it in a post. It just seemed like the perfect time to make the pie and the pie crust.

There was no explanation with the recipe as to why it is called Funny Cake Pie, but it is fitting. The chocolate layer gives it a pie taste and the top layer looks like a cake. No matter what it is called, we really liked it. And the Pat-in-Pan Pie Crust was really good also. I'm sorry I missed Carla's Fresh Strawberry Pie.



FUNNY CAKE PIE

Top Part:

1/2       cup sugar
1/4       cup shortening
1          egg
1/2       cup milk
1          teaspoon baking powder
1          cup flour
1/2       teaspoon vanilla

Lower Part:

1/2       cup sugar
1/4       cup cocoa
1/3       cup hot water
1/4       teaspoon vanilla

Pastry for 1 (9 inch) crust.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.


Mix top part like cake batter, creaming the fat and adding the sugar and egg.


Add milk alternately with the dry ingredients that have been sifted together beginning and ending with flour.



For the lower part, combine the sugar and cocoa.


Add the hot water and vanilla.




Line the 9 - inch pie plate with pastry.


Pour the lower part into the crust.



Pour the top part over the lower part.



Bake for approximately 40 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment