Wednesday, May 23, 2018

PAT-IN-PAN PIE CRUST

This Pat-in-Pan Pie Crust was the pie crust that Friend Carla used for her Fresh Strawberry Pie that she served for the Mexican Train gathering at her house. I have seen recipes for Pat-in-Pan Pie Crusts before, but just never tried to do it. Friend Janice sent me a picture of part of the pie that was left because she didn't think to take a picture beforehand. When I was going to make a pie for us and saw it called for a pie crust, I decided to make it and then I could share the crust with you.

When I have recipes that have you mix in the pan, I usually will mix it in a bowl after all and then just pour it in the pan. This time though I decided to "take the risk". I did make sure that I "cleaned" the bottom of the pie plate by rubbing my fingers across the bottom of the plate and trying to get every little crumb there mixed in with the dough. 

Well, the crust was not only delicious, it worked. It came out of the plate perfectly. The next time I don't feel like making a rolled out pie crust (I know that crazy, isn't it?), I am sure I will making this one.



PAT-IN-PAN PIE CRUST

1-1/2      cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-1/2      teaspoons sugar
1/2         teaspoon salt
1/2         cup oil
3            tablespoons cold milk

Place the flour, sugar, and salt in the 9 - inch pie pan. Mix with your fingers until blended.
In a measuring cup, combine the oil and milk, and beat with a fork until creamy.
Pour all at once over the flour mixture.
Mix with a fork until the flour mixture is completely moistened.



Pat the dough with your fingers, first up the sides of the plate, then across the bottom.


Flute the edges.
Shell is now ready to be filled.




If your recipe requires a baked crust, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Prick the surface of the pastry with a fork and
bake 14 minutes, checking often, and pricking more if needed. (I didn't need to.)









For a 10 - inch pie crust, use 2 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 2/3 cup oil, 3 tablespoons milk.

Cooking from Quilt Country Los Angeles Times-Washington Post News Service

No comments:

Post a Comment