Wednesday, May 30, 2018

TOSTADO CASSEROLE

With Granddaughter Madison playing softball twice a week and Grandson Tyler playing T-Ball twice a week (different days), I haven't had much time to cook dinner. This past weekend they went camping and we had to go to their house to feed the dog and let him run around outside several times a day, I decided I would just take the ingredients to their house and make a casserole. Then I could put it in their refrigerator to heat up for leftovers when we went back each night.

This recipe for Tostado Casserole sounded quite tasty and just what I was looking for. Annabelle Kratz of Clarksville, MD and Hyattsville Mennonite Church shared the recipe in The Best of Mennonite Fellowship Meals Cookbook by Phyllis  Pellman Good and Louise Stoltzfus. 

I followed the recipe as given except for one little thing...I put the crushed chips and cheese on top of the casserole before I baked the casserole for 25 minutes. It worked out okay. The cheese "overcooked" as you would expect it too, but I just added a few more crushed chips and added a little more cheese and then put it back in the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese. My husband wanted more chips and so we finished the bag when we ate from it the first time. Fortunately I bought two bags of chips so we had more chips for leftovers. I also served some whole kernel corn with it and my husband thought it would have been good if I had added it to the casserole.


TOSTADO CASSEROLE

1        lb ground beef
1       15 - oz can of tomato sauce (I used two 8 - oz cans)
1       pkg taco seasoning mix
2-1/2 cups corn chips (or more if you prefer)
1       15-1/2 - oz can refried beans
1/2    cup cheddar cheese, shredded (I used a taco blend of shredded cheese)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

Brown ground beef in skillet. Drain, if necessary.

Add 1-1/2 cups of the tomato sauce and the taco seasoning together.
 
Add to the cooked beef and
mix thoroughly.

Place about 2 cups of the chips in the bottom of a 7 x 11 - inch baking dish. (Personally it is hard to measure chips so I just made sure the bottom of the dish was generally covered.)

Spoon the ground beef mixture over the chips in the baking dish.


Combine the refried beans and any sauce you have left. (I just emptied the beans and the little sauce I had left in the measuring cup I had used to measure the sauce originally and then mixed with the taco seasoning mix. That way I could mix in the mix that remained in the cup.)


Spoon the beans over the ground beef mixture.


BAKE in oven for 25 minutes. 
Remove from oven and sprinkle top with the 1/2 cup of crushed chips and sprinkle shredded cheese on top.



RETURN to oven and bake a few more minutes to melt the cheese.



Serve with additional chips, if you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment