Thursday, May 3, 2018

APPLE GRUNT

I must admit the crazy name for this apple dessert is why I chose to make it. Above it on the same page was a recipe for Apple Goodie. Even though I have never made it, I see it in almost every Amish/Mennonite/Pennsylvania Dutch cookbook I have. This was the first time I have seen a recipe for Apple Grunt though.

It is also the first time I have ever tasted anything like it. One bite and I was in love. It doesn't taste like a "crisp". It doesn't taste like a "cobbler". It doesn't taste like a "streusel" or an "apple cake" either. I guess the taste of it is just as original and unique as its name.

I'm just so glad that Mary Emma Showalter included this recipe of Mrs. Louella Pletcher of Middleberry, Ind. in her cookbook called Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking, A Mennonite Community Cookbook.

Because I was making it for just us, I substituted stevia for the sugar to help out a little since I did use the brown sugar for the topping. Mrs. Pletcher didn't indicate what size of baking dish to use. She did say it should be shallow, so instead of using an 8 - inch square baking dish, I used my 1 quart size Corning Ware covered dish - pan. It was the perfect size. I think the 8 - inch square dish would have been too big for the recipe.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE A PRINTABLE VERSION OF THE RECIPE, CLICK HERE.






APPLE GRUNT

1/2       cup sugar (I used stevia)
2          tablespoons shortening
1          egg
1          cup flour
1/2       teaspoon salt
1          teaspoon baking powder
1/2       teaspoon soda
1/2       cup sour milk or buttermilk (I used buttermilk)
1-1/2   cups sliced apples 
1/2       teaspoon vanilla

CRUMB TOPPING

6           tablespoons brown sugar
1-1/2       teaspoons flour
1/2        teaspoon cinnamon
1-1/2     tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease or spray a shallow baking dish. (I used a 1 quart Corning Ware dish)

Cream sugar and shortening together.

Add egg and beat.
Add soda to sour milk or buttermilk and stir into mixture.

Sift dry ingredients together
and add, beating thoroughly.
(I added the vanilla at this time as the recipe didn't indicate when to add it.)
Add sliced apples and
fold into mixture. (Mrs. Pletcher used the word "blend" but I chose to "fold" because I didn't want to break the apple slices up.)  





(Due to space left in measuring cup, I filled my two cup measuring cup full for the 1-1/2 cup measurement.)

Pour (Spread) in baking dish.  Set aside.

Rub together the ingredients for the Crumb Topping.

Sprinkle crumbs over top of mixture.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.








Serve hot with rich milk. (I served it with vanilla ice cream.)






Makes 4 - 6 servings. 

2 comments:

  1. In the crumb topping, you have: 1-/2 teaspoons flour. Is that 1/2 tsp or 1 & 1/2 tsp flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry ... looks like I left off the 1 in 1/2. I checked the printable copy and it is correct. Glad you are giving the recipe a try. Thanks for bringing my error to my attention. Patricia

      Delete