Monday, May 21, 2018

STRAWBERRIES AND YOGURT CAKE

Monday a week ago, we were on our way back from Colorado after helping them pack some of their things prior to moving into a new house. We are as excited for them as they are. They decided they needed a bigger house, when they thought they were going to be adopting one of the foster children they have have had since she was two days old. Now they are not so sure that is going to happen, but they also hope to adopt another child they have also had since he was two days old and will be two years old later this summer. Their hearts are so big and I keep praying that these precious children will be able to officially join our son, his wife, and four children and become family.

I was scheduled to go into volunteer at Hillcrest Thrift Shop the next day and didn't have a clue what I would make and share with the other volunteers. My husband thought I would just "pass" this time since we wouldn't get home until 7:00, but I just couldn't do that.

I was checking my emails on my phone and saw one from Betty Crocker. That's where I saw this recipe for Strawberries and Cream Yogurt Cake. Strawberries are so plentiful in the grocery stores right now as the first crops are ripening and a good price. I needed to run by the grocery store before going to our house to get the yogurt and strawberries, but that didn't take too long.

I'm not sure why Betty Crocker included the word "Cream" in the title so I omitted it. I had some homemade strawberry jam that I used in the recipe. I also used truvia sugar/stevia blend for the sugar (using 3/4 cup). The volunteers loved it and it didn't last very long in the Community Room.

Since I made the cake the night before, I did wait to sift some powdered sugar on it until I was ready to take it the next morning. I also covered the cake pan and stored it in the refrigerator overnight.


STRAWBERRY AND YOGURT CAKE

2         containers (6 oz each) strawberry yogurt
1-1/2   cups sugar or 3/4 cup sugar/stevia blend
1/2      cup (1 stick) butter, melted
2         teaspoons vanilla
3         eggs
2-1/4   cups all-purpose flour
2         teaspoons baking powder
1/2      teaspoon salt
1/2      cup strawberry jam
1-1/4   cups quartered fresh strawberries
powdered sugar, if desired

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, stir together yogurt and sugar,
and add melted butter and vanilla until well blended (with a wooden spoon).

Mix in eggs, 1 at a time, until well blended.

Add flour, baking powder, and salt
(that you have mixed together in a smaller bowl);
beat with rubber spatula or wooden spoon until smooth.


Pour batter into pan, spreading evenly.

Stir strawberry jam until smooth in a small bowl.
Drop by teaspoonfuls on top of batter. (I used an ice tea spoon.)

Quarter fresh strawberries
and fill in empty space on top of cake batter by carefully placing the strawberry quarters.

Sprinkle cake with 2 teaspoons of sugar.

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.







Cool 20 minutes, then sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve.

OR allow cake to cool on wire rack, cover cake pan, and store in refrigerator overnight until ready to serve.
Then sprinkle with powdered sugar, cut in squares, and serve. (I cut 24 squares.)

No comments:

Post a Comment