Monday, August 13, 2012

MULTI-GRAIN BANANA BREAKFAST COOKIES

I saw this recipe from Pam@onceamonthmom.com. (I changed the name of the recipe to stress the multi-grains.) I was attracted to the recipe because of the word "breakfast".  That implied a healthier cookie that was probably less sweet, too.  I   made a few changes to Pam's recipe. 

I took them to NNL's book club this morning and they really liked them. Sue said she wasn't real fond of chocolate chips so if you prefer just leave them out. 

After I made the first batch this morning, I decided to make a second batch this afternoon.  I mixed in just a half cup of dark chocolate chips (this morning I put a whole cup in so that every cookie would have a chip--Helen had to have a third one though because her second one didn't have a chip---all I can say is---I tried.) and then took out about half of the dough and added 1/3 cup of dried cranberries to one half and then 1/3 cup dried chopped dates to the other half.  I made about 25 cookies of each kind.  Since I am freezing the cookies, we can enjoy some variety.

MULTI-GRAIN BANANA BREAKFAST COOKIES

1/4   cup  light margarine
1/2   cup brown sugar
1   teaspoon vanilla
2   large bananas
1   large egg
1   cup  unbleached, all-purpose flour
1   cup whole wheat pastry flour
1  1/2   cup  quick oats
2   tablespoons milled flaxseed
1   teaspoon salt
1   teaspoon baking soda
1/2   cup dark chocolate chip
 1/2   cup dried cranberries, dates, or raisins.**

**if you divide the dough in half, add 1/3  cup of each fruit to each half.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

Cream together butter and sugar.  Add egg. vanilla, and bananas and mix at medium speed to mash up bananas and til combined and smooth.

Gradually add dry ingredients with mixer on slow.  

Stir in chocolate chips.

Add dried fruit
or
Divide dough in half and add fruit as you like.

Drop dollops of batter using a 1 - inch cookie scoop onto a nonstick baking sheet.

If you want a flatter cookie, flatten the dollop with a wet fork.

Bake for 8 - 10 minutes or until the cookie is set and lightly golden around the edges.  Remove immediately and cool on wire rack.
 
To freeze, place on a flat pan for 30 minutes in freezer, then store in freezer in a freezer bag.

My friend Carol made these without the dried fruit (the way I did the first batch) and she said she made 44 cookies.  (Mine made 41).  She kept up with the ingredients and said that turned out to be 55 calories per cookie.  She froze hers also and plans to take a couple with a piece of fruit to eat for lunch when she is out running around and has a big meal planned for dinner.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment