Thursday, August 16, 2012

GLAZED LEMON-ZUCCHINI LOAF

My zucchini plants in my garden are no more, but I still have a couple of zucchinis that I haven't used in any recipes, yet.  So I have been going through my many recipes to see what I can make with them.  

I recently saw the lemon-zucchini loaf with lemon glaze by NancyCreative.  I have a recipe for just lemon loaf that I used to make in CA that was sooooooo good.  I used lemons from our own lemon tree when I made it and it really made the loaf tart and sweet. Remembering that taste I decided to give this recipe a try.  Of course I had to make it mine.

GLAZED LEMON-ZUCCHINI LOAF

1  1/2  cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2   cup whole wheat pastry flour
2   teaspoons baking powder
1/2   teaspoon salt
2   eggs
1/4   cup canola oil
1/4   cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3   cup truvia baking blend (or 2/3 cup sugar)
1/2   cup buttermilk
4   packets of TRUE lemon (or 2  T  lemon juice)
1/2   teaspoon lemon peel
1   cup grated zucchini (you don't have to peel the zucchini before grating it)

Preheat over to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour 2  mini-loaf pans (or one 9 x 5" loaf pan.

In large bowl , blend flours, baking powder, and salt with whisk.

In medium bowl, beat eggs well, then add oil, applesauce, and truvia, and blend well.  Then add the buttermilk, packets of TRUE lemon, and lemon peel.  Blend well.

Fold in the zucchini and stir until everything is well blended.

Add the dry ingredients and blend together.

Pour batter into the prepared loaf pans.

 Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.



Cool 5 minutes on wire racks in pans.

Meanwhile, make the glaze.

LEMON GLAZE 

 1   cup powdered sugar
4   packets of TRUE lemon dissolved in 2  tablespoons of water (or 2  tablespoons of lemon juice)

Mix together in small bowl.  
I wanted the glaze to soak in the loaf some so I spooned the glaze over the loaves while they were still in the pans.
I let the loaves cool in the pans 
 
and slipped a knife around the inside edges to loosen the glaze and removed them to finish completely cooling.

I wrapped one loaf in plastic wrap and placed in a freezer bag to freeze for later and ate a slice from the other one.  OMG!  It is so good.  Reminds me of the lemon loaf flavor I used to make.

In the recipe, I mentioned using packets of TRUE lemon. Let me start by saying I am not being paid to endorse this product.  I had a coupon and decided I would see if I could find it in the grocery store.  (I actually got it at the commissary at Fort Leavenworth).  I not only found TRUE lemon but also TRUE lime.    My coupon was for $1 off and I had two coupons, so I bought one of each.  I really like them in my cooking.  They seem to have that strong flavor that I liked from my own tree.    

No comments:

Post a Comment