Wednesday, August 15, 2012

GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE FROSTING

German chocolate cake is one of my favorites.  While I really do enjoy the cake, it does have a different taste.  I think it is one of my favorite cakes because of the icing.

Recently, my husband was helping my friend Linda's husband Mitch moved some concrete-like blocks.  They are adding on to their house and have done most of the work themselves. I stayed at home to get some work done.  It was one of those HOT days that we have endured this summer.  I didn't know when my husband was coming home but when he didn't come home by 1:00, I decided I should go over and check on them.  Of course they were fine and actually had quite a bit of shade to work in.  Linda had fed them lunch and was keeping them hydrated with plenty of water.  

When she wasn't fixing lunch for them, she was busy making German chocolate cupcakes.  I showed up just in time.  Linda and I sat in their "living room", drinking tall glasses of ice water, visiting, and "supervising". 

When I decided to leave and come back and do more cleaning here at home, Linda asked me if I liked German chocolate cake.  Of course, I said, "I sure do."  

Well, she ended up giving me 6 German chocolate cupcakes. I told her not to give me so many.....really I did, but she insisted. When she told me she had made the icing, I asked her if I could share the recipe on my blog.  She said Mitch had found the recipe on-line for her.

German Chocolate Cake Frosting

1   6-oz can of evaporated milk  (a small can or half a large can)
2/3  cup sugar
1/4   cup butter
1  slightly beaten egg
1  1/3   cups flaked coconut
1/2   cup chopped pecans

Combine first 4 ingredients and a dash of salt.  

Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture thickens and bubbles (about 12 minutes)

Cool slightly.

Add remaining ingredients.

Cool.

Frost two  8 - inch layers or 24 cupcakes.
 I only have a picture of  5 of the  6.  I ate one before I could get a picture of them.  They were really good.   

I asked Linda about using light margarine/ butter, Splenda or truvia, and unsweetened coconut.  She felt the light margarine/butter would be fine.  She wasn't sure about the Splenda or truvia but felt the unsweetened coconut would work.  Will have to try them and see.  Let me know if you do it before I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment