Wednesday, August 22, 2012

BAKED SPAGHETTI SUPPER

I have often wanted to make a baked spaghetti dish. I don't know why, I just have. So a few days ago when I needed something to make for dinner....I started looking through my recipes.

This recipe was on a box of spaghetti.  I don't know which brand because I just cut the recipe out and it doesn't say on the recipe. The original recipe was for 4 - 6 servings so I decided to cut it in half.  Instead of a  9" x 13" pan, I wanted to use an 8" square. Well, my husband and I didn't hardly make a dent in it. We could have easily had friends over and still had leftovers.


BAKED SPAGHETTI SUPPER

6  -  oz  whole grain thin spaghetti
2     tablespoons  +  2  teaspoons olive oil
1/2  teaspoon garlic powder
1/2  tablespoon basil
1/2  medium onion
1     bell pepper, chopped
3     cups (1  jar) your favorite spaghetti sauce
1/2  lb. turkey sausage (or ground beef)
1     cup Italian Blend cheese, shredded
1/2  cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook spaghetti according to directions, drain, cover, and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees if using a glass baking dish)

Spray with cooking oil an 8" square baking dish.

Heat olive oil in large skillet on medium heat.  Add garlic, onion, pepper, and basil.  Saute 3 minutes.

Add sauce and sausage; simmer 5 minutes.


In the baking dish, layer in this order:
half of the spaghetti,



half of the meat sauce,


half of the Italian Blend cheese, half of the Parmesan cheese




then repeat the layering using the rest of the ingredients.




Bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.



We both really liked this dish. I am sorry that I have waited so long to make it, but I won't wait so long before I make it again. It would be a good dish to take to a potluck. I would probably double it and make it in the 9" x 13" pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment