Wednesday, August 1, 2012

GOOD FOR YOU BANANA OAT BRAN MUFFINS

I have revised this recipe since the first time I made them.  The recipe now shows those revisions.  I also have added a note below the recipe re the addition of milk.  I am much happier with the new recipe.  Hope you will give it a try.


If you have been following my blog, you know that a friend from "back home", Betty, asked me if I had a good breakfast bran muffin recipe.  I had one that made a whole bunch--in fact the recipe said the mixture would keep in the refrigerator for six weeks.  I fiddled with the recipe and came up with one that just makes 12 muffins.  In case you missed it, you can check out my Raisin Bran Multi-Grain Muffins HERE.


At the time, I said I had another recipe to make but needed to get some oat bran.  Well, I finally got some.  

This recipe came from a California friend, Marilyn, who was a home economist.  She is the one who first introduced me to reducing oil content in baked goods by substituting part with applesauce.  

We also attended the same United Methodist Church and she submitted this recipe in a cookbook that the church women compiled.



There are two variations for the recipe.  I made the banana one because I had some bananas I needed to use.  I will also tell you how to make the applesauce one.

BANANA OAT BRAN MUFFINS

2/3   cup oat bran
2/3  cup all-purpose flour
2/3   cup whole wheat (pastry) flour
3   teaspoons baking powder
1/4   teaspoon salt
1/2   teaspoon cinnamon
1/4   teaspoon nutmeg
1/2  cup brown sugar
1/3   cup chopped nuts
2   egg whites  or  1/4  cup egg substitute
3   tablespoons oil
1/2   cup  skim milk * (see note below)
1   cup mashed bananas, (2 bananas)
1   teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Combine all dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
(I always mix my dry ingredients together with a whisk) 

Combine all wet ingredients in a small bowl.

With a spoon mix the two together in the larger bowl just to moisten, but make sure all the dry mixture has been mixed in. 

Spoon into a 12 - cup muffin pan that has been sprayed with cooking oil.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes til nice golden brown.


Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack and then remove the muffins and eat or continue to cool. (I ate one.)



NOTE:  I made these muffins a second time and forgot to add the milk.  I didn't even realize it until I was looking at the recipe later.  They tasted great.  The batter wasn't too thick.  I would suggest that you make these without the milk.  IF for whatever reason, your batter is too thick, then I would say to add up to the 1/2 cup of milk until the consistency was what you wanted.  My husband took the muffins to Hillcrest Thrift Shop and shared them with some of the other volunteers.  They loved them and were still talking about them two weeks later when I went back with a new "treat" for them.

Another version is for Applesauce Oat Bran MuffinsInstead of the 1 cup of mashed bananas,  USE

1/3   cup raisins
1   cup applesauce

 
Everything else is the same.  Next time I will make the applesauce ones.  Since the banana ones taste really good, I am sure the applesauce ones will, too.


I hope you will try these "good for you" muffins.  Let me know how they turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment