Sunday, January 20, 2013

OATMEAL APPLE COOKIES

When I was cleaning off my night stand earlier this week (first task on my Getting Organized 2013), I had to go through some papers from our vacation back in September that I had piled up on top. I know, I am so embarrassed to admit that, but it is true. Anyway, one of the papers was a page from the notepad provided by the Holiday Inn in Rosslyn where we stayed. On it was a recipe I had written down for Oatmeal Apple Cookies. I have no idea where I saw the recipe.

Yesterday I decided to give it a try. I considered cutting the recipe in half since it made 6 dozen cookies, but the recipe called for one apple chopped so I decided to just make the full amount. I figured I could either take them to Hillcrest Thrift Shop on Monday or freeze them. ♥

As it turned out the recipe made 7-1/2 dozen small cookies--I used my 1-inch scoop to form the cookies. I am glad it made so many because they are so good....I have plenty to enjoy myself and still share some. (They actually work real well freezing them. I placed them on the small cookie sheet in the freezer for about an hour. Then I just put them in a ziplock freezer bag. Whenever I want one, I just take one out and eat it. You don't have to let them thaw. Even though they are frozen, they aren't frozen hard.)




OATMEAL APPLE COOKIES

2    cups flour (I used 1 cup soft wheat and 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
2    teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2    cups brown sugar, firmly packed (I used 1 cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend)
1     cup margarine (2 sticks), room temperature
2    eggs
1     teaspoon vanilla
3    cups oats, rolled (I used Old Fashioned)
1     apple-tart, finely chopped (I used a Granny Smith apple)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon with a whisk.

Beat til light and fluffy the brown sugar and margarine.

Add the eggs and vanilla and beat til smooth.

Add the flour mixture alternately with the oats to the wet mixture, blending well after each addition. May need to scrape the sides of the bowl.



Stir in chopped apples.

Using a 1-inch scoop (or rounded teaspoonful) of dough onto ungreased cookie sheets.  They don't spread too much so you can cook 15 on a large cookie sheet. (This picture is with my smaller cookie sheet.  I did get 15 easily on the large sheets.)

Bake 10-12 minutes until brown around the edges. (I cooked mine 12 minutes.)

Cool 2 minutes on the cookie sheet before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.

These cookies are so good. I hope you will give them a try. ♥

1 comment:

  1. I definitely added a scoop of peanut butter... Omfg, nailed it! So good and so simple!

    ReplyDelete