Tuesday, August 7, 2012

FRESH PEACH CRISP

I had some fresh peaches that had ripened (Remember I ripen peaches that I buy in the store or farmers' market by placing them  in a paper sack, close it up with a clothes pin, set it on the counter, and wait until I can smell the peaches when I walk by.) and I wanted to try something other than cobbler. 

The first time I made this recipe was October, 1983. (That's the earliest date on the bottom of the recipe card.)  I made it with sliced apples, but today I thought I would try it with the peaches. It was so good.....I could have skipped the Crockpot chicken and speckled butterbeans for dinner, and just filled up on the crisp. I didn't have any lemon juice so decided to try the lime juice. I didn't want the peaches to turn dark. Well, I won't hesitate doing that again.


FRESH PEACH CRISP

4   cups sliced peaches
lemon or lime juice
2/3  cup packed light brown sugar
1/2   cup all-purpose flour
1/2   cup quick oats
3/4   teaspoon cinnamon
3/4   teaspoon nutmeg
1/3  cup light margarine, softened.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Spray an 8 x 8 x 2" square pan.

Slice peaches and spread in pan.  Sprinkle a little lime or lemon juice over them.

In a small bowl, mix the remaining ingredients thoroughly.   

With a teaspoon carefully drop small amounts of the topping over the peaches.

Bake 30 minutes or until peaches are tender and topping is golden brown.

Serve warm and, if desired, with ice cream.

It also works well with 4 cups of sliced apples.  You could use canned peaches, drained, but the taste will be different, not that fresh peach taste, but if that is all you have, I say, "Go for it."

No comments:

Post a Comment