Monday, April 24, 2023

LEMON ICEBOX CAKE

 I have been so busy sharing Cafe Treats with you that I have left behind some delicious desserts I have made for other events. I hope you have been visiting My Patchwork Quilt often and tried or at least saved some of the awesome Cafe Treats recipes. I started making three different treats - 3 dozen of each and we now have as many as six different treats each Sunday - we are so popular. I am so thankful for the willingness of others to join this ministry. I now have twenty people in the group. What a blessing!

I chose this Lemon Icebox Cake to make and serve to the Tasty Bunch when they met at our house earlier this month. It was the second one I made because the first recipe for a lemon cheesecake didn't work out. I was so nervous after having the first failure that I also made some cookies to serve with ice cream just in case. (I shared them earlier HERE.) The dessert worked out great so we didn't eat the cookies, but Friend Carol did take some home. 

It is not unusual for me to tweak a recipe a little and I did that to this recipe mainly to make the serving thicker. Everyone was so pleased with the result, I'm not even going to share the original recipe. Sometimes you find a recipe that just doesn't work the way it is pictured.

You could decrease the amount of sugar by using a zero sugar instant lemon pudding mix and sugar-free whipped topping or not. Whatever is your pleasure.

PRINT RECIPE.



LEMON ICEBOX CAKE

2        (3.4 oz) packages lemon instant pudding mix

2-1/2  cups milk (I do use non-fat milk)

1         (8  oz) tub of whipped topping, thawed and divided

1          package - graham crackers


In a large bowl, whisk together the pudding mix and milk until it thickens, about 2 minutes.


Fold in about 3/4 of the whipped topping. 


Cover the bottom of an 8-1/2 or 9 inch square glass dish with graham crackers. Gently break along the perforations to cover the empty places after placing the whole crackers.


Spoon half of the pudding mixture over the bottom layer of crackers. Gently place another layer of crackers over the top of the pudding. (I alternate the second layer of crackers from the way they were placed the first time. Also the dish gradually gets bigger so break the crackers so that they basically cover the layer of pudding.)

Spoon the rest of the pudding mixture over the top of the second layer of crackers spreading out to completely cover the crackers.

Spread the rest of the whipped topping on top.

Crumble three of crackers using a rolling pin and ziplock bag


to sprinkle on top.

I like to use a glass dish because the dessert shows off so nicely in it.


Refrigerate for several hours or overnight (which is what I always do) before serving.


Cut into squares to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment