Monday, April 3, 2023

BUTTERSCOTCH CHIP COOKIES

 And just like that ... our temperatures are rising and I feel like spring is here and winter is over. Well, later this week ... with a high predicted midweek of 80 and a low of 29 ... it's almost here and over.

It was a beautiful day today for Palm Sunday. The sun rising over the apartments across the road sorta behind us waking me up, my day started off perfectly. The Cafe Treats are being so successful at church (we had nothing left fifteen minutes after the last service), the unleavened bread our group made Friday morning at the church was another big hit, and we had total of 500 in attendance combined at the two services. 

When we started baking the bread for communion almost two years ago, we prepared for between 250 and 300 in attendance. A couple of months ago they told us to start preparing for 500 since we had 450 in January AND today we had 500 in attendance. Our group met Friday morning at the church to prepare for 2000 for Easter's three services. Eight of us gathered and in two hours we had made ten batches which we cut into 2225 "servings". You can see why I feel so blessed with this group and the Cafe Treats Bakers.

I have had to add a fourth person to the schedule for each Sunday bringing three dozen cookies, mini-muffins, or bars to offer the members AND we had no leftovers today that I needed to freeze for another time. Next Sunday is Easter Sunday and with expecting maybe 1700 for the three services, the Cafe will not be open. Molly, the Hospitality Coordinator, didn't want to ask us volunteers to prepare enough for that many people. She doesn't know, but my group would probably been willing to do it. They all are enjoying so much baking and sharing their "treat" for the Cafe. Anyway, we will be offering a plate of Treats for three groups -- the musicians and singers, the hospitality people, and the children's ministry volunteers a plate of goodies to enjoy.

I had planned to share the last recipe from last Sunday, Barbara's Banana Mini-Muffins with you this time, but after looking at the recipe she sent me, I have a few questions. I will try to get it shared on Wednesday. Someone this morning asked me about them. He wanted some more. They were delicious! 

So I will be sharing Sharon's Butterscotch Chip Cookies from several weeks ago. These were so good, but I just got sidetracked and didn't get it shared back then. I almost forgot to take a picture of them. By the time I remembered, this is all that was left.

PRINT RECIPE.


BUTTERSCOTCH CHIP COOKIES 

1       cup packed brown sugar

1/2    cup sugar

1       cup butter (Sharon uses 1 stick butter flavored Crisco)

2       eggs

1       teaspoon vanilla

2-1/2 cups flour, spooned & leveled off

1       teaspoon baking soda

1       teaspoon salt

1/2    teaspoon ground cinnamon

1       (11 - ounce) bag butterscotch chips

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter or shortening) with the sugars and vanilla for 2 minutes on medium speed until well mixed and fluffy. Add the eggs and mix until well combined.

In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. 

With the mixer running on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just mixed up. Fold in the butterscotch chips.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for 30 to 45 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.

Scoop one heaping tablespoon of dough at a time into a ball and place on the prepared pan about 2 inches apart. (I would use my tablespoon cookie scoop.

Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, until slightly golden around the edges.

Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes before removing the cookies from the pan to cool on a wire rack.


I hope you are enjoying these recipes as much as I am being able to share them with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment