Thursday, April 13, 2023

CAKE MIX SNICKERDOODLES

Snickerdoodles are cookies that are very popular with people. I know we have served them several times made by different people in the Cafe Treats and they don't usually last long. So naturally when I saw this recipe using a cake mix, my interest was peaked and for several reasons. 

I always take a second look at recipes that use cake mixes because I can buy zero sugar yellow and devil's food cake mixes and a zero sugar brownie mix that will make the cookies with fewer calories and maybe no sugar. It also usually means the recipe goes together faster and easier which is another aspect that interests me when I am checking out recipes.

Last Thursday night was our turn to host the Tasty Bunch, a group of our friends that get together each month to eat out and then have dessert back at the house of the host. I found a recipe for a lemon cheesecake that sounded good along with another recipe for a Lemon Icebox Cake. I decided to make the cheesecake because of the way it looked. Well, it flopped and so I ended up making the lemon icebox cake to serve. (No, I haven't written it up yet to share with you, but I definitely will.)

I made the dessert on Wednesday so it would have overnight to set up, but for some reason afterwards, I got to thinking that I should make some cookies, just-in-case. I don't know why unless it was because the first dessert flopped, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. (You can see why I was looking for quick and easy.)

So Thursday afternoon I was making these cookies to serve with ice cream if the icebox case flopped also. I couldn't believe how perfectly they turned out from the distorted blob I ended up placing on the cookie sheet. They looked so pretty so I also decided I would package up some of the cookies for Friends Janice & Leon and Carol & Keith could take home. 

As it turned out, the Lemon Icebox Cake turned out perfectly, but Carol said she definitely wanted to take the "box" of cookies home. Janice didn't take hers. Since we didn't eat them for dessert, I took what we would have eaten along with the ones Janice didn't take and took them to church on Sunday for the Cafe Treats. I did make sure I got one to eat on Sunday since I had only eaten one of the ones at home.

I hope you give them a try whether you make them zero sugar or regular.

PRINT RECIPE.



 CAKE MIX SNICKERDOOLES

1       box yellow cake mix (use Zero Sugar yellow cake mix for less sugar)

1 - 2  eggs (I did use two)

1/2    cup oil or 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted (I used the oil)

1/4    cup sugar + 1 tablespoon cinnamon 



Mix the cake mix, egg(s), and oil or butter in a bowl with a wooden spoon until dough forms.









Place in the refrigerator to chill for thirty minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cover cookie sheets with parchment paper. 


Combine the sugar and cinnamon together in a small custard dish. (If you are making these sugar-free, substitute stevia, etc for the sugar.)


Remove the dough from the refrigerator. It will still be soft but better to use cold.

Using a tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop the dough and

drop in the cinnamon sugar mixture to cover.

 

Return the bowl of dough to the refrigerator to keep cool while waiting for the cookies to bake in the oven.




Place 2 to 3 inches apart on cookie sheets. The cookies will spread and bake in perfectly formed round cookies. The dough doesn't have to be a perfect ball.

When I placed 12 scoops on my cookie sheet, a few of the cookies baked together. They did separate without any difficulty, but after that,

I only baked about 8 on each cookie sheet.




Bake 10 to 12 minutes allowing the edges to brown lightly. Cookies will be slightly puffy.

Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet before removing to a

wire rack to cool. The recipe made 27 beautiful, delicious, perfectly round snickerdoodles that you would never guess were made using a cake mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment