Monday, April 24, 2023

CRANBERRY SCONE BITES

 Several years ago we stayed a week on Cape Cod when out then traveling partners, Janice and Leon. One day we went into a gift shop and I found this small cookbook called Yolanda's All New Cranberry Cookbook  by Yolanda Lodi. I found a recipe in it that I wanted to make, but I didn't want to buy the cookbook. I kept repeating lines in it and then going back to where Janice was to write it down. Then I would go back and look at the cookbook again. I kept repeating this until I had the entire recipe down. 

After I got home, I decided to order the cookbook online from Amazon. In the long run, I'm glad I did because I have made several of the recipes in it. The cookbook came from the source and she included a nice note with the book thanking me for buying it. 

This recipe for Cranberry Scones is one from the book. I made the recipe a week ago following the recipe. I wanted to make them for the Cafe Treats since I'm still waiting for Baker Lee to make his famous scones for us. Lee and I have discussed how to make them in a smaller version for the Cafe. 

The scones are one of the best I have eaten! They made up so thick that I decided the next time I would pat the dough thinner. The taste is so unique also and they are surprisingly light tasting not like many scones I have eaten!

Saturday I got to hang out with our granddaughter Madison. In the past we have had so much fun baking together so I told her we were going to make some Cafe Treats for Sunday. 

This time I decided to just pat the dough out as one big circle instead of the two six-inch circles and using a small cookie cutter to cut them in circles. I couldn't find my small cookie cutter and so she used a funnel I have for canning. It is about  2 inches and worked perfectly for our purpose. We ended up with twenty-four + small round ones. The last of the dough I patted into a small circle and cut it into wedges that we enjoyed eating.

PRINT RECIPE.


CRANBERRY SCONE/BITES

2-1/2    cups flour

1/2       cup sugar

2          teaspoons baking powder

1          teaspoon baking soda

1/2       teaspoon salt

1/4       cup (1/2 stick) chilled butter, cut into small pieces

1/4       cup dried cranberries, finely chopped

1          large egg

1          cup vanilla yogurt


GLAZE

1/2       powdered sugar

1          tablespoon orange juice (I also used lemon juice one time.)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet.


In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.


Cut the cold butter into small slices and then break them up into small pieces.

Add to the flour mixture and using a pastry cutter,

cut in until the mixture forms crumbs.


It's important that you cut the already small dried cranberries into smaller pieces to make sure each scone has some pieces in it.

Stir in the dried cranberries.


In a medium bowl whisk the egg and yogurt until smooth.


Add to the other mixture and mix with a wooden spoon

until the dry ingredients are moistened. 


Light flour a board and knead the dough gently to form a ball. Divide the dough into two equal balls.

Pat each ball into a circle, about 6 or 7 inches in diameter.

Cut the dough into 6 equal wedges. 

Place the wedges on the baking sheet 

To make the bites, pat into one large circle and cut into small round shapes about 2 inches in diameter or to the size you wish. 


Bake for 10 to 13 minutes or until golden brown. Mine were brown after 10 minutes.

Separate the wedges.

The "bites"








GLAZE:


In a small bowl mix the glaze ingredients

til smooth. Let stand while scones are baking.


Remove the scones from the oven and spread the scones with the glaze while still warm.
I used lemon juice for the liquid for the glaze for the Bites. I made it thicker using less juice than when I made the wedges. 

No comments:

Post a Comment