Wednesday, April 19, 2023

CHOCOLATE CHIP BARS


Surprise! Surprise! I'm sharing a recipe that wasn't a Cafe Treat, BUT it could be with a few substitutions - mainly omitting the pecans since the Cafe Treats is a "nut-free zone". I think some of the members miss adding the nuts because they will tell me they left out the nuts when they bring their treat in on Sunday. I just smile and tell them that those people who have nut allergies really appreciate that.

I found this recipe in the 40th Reunion Limited Edition of the Midwest Threshers Cookbook and thought it would be a good choice for our Quitlers' Canasta group when I hosted last week. They don't have a lot of sugar as some which is always appreciated and just sounded good!

AND they were good. The ladies loved them. They were so good that Wayne told me later that they were too good; it was hard not to eat a second one. HA. I stored the left overs in an airtight container and we slowly enjoyed them  for several days as I cut them into twelve bars.

I will probably end up making them for the Cafe Treats and cut them into 24 bars. I'm sure they will be pleased. Until then...

PRINT RECIPE.



CHOCOLATE CHIP BARS

1/3       cup butter

1/2       cup sugar

1/2       cup brown sugar

1          egg

1          teaspoon vanilla

1          cup flour

1-1/4   teaspoons baking powder

1/4      teaspoon salt

1/2      cup coconut

1/2      cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)

1         (6 - ounce bag) cup chocolate chips


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a 9 - inch square pan. My pan was 8-1/2 - inch square. To double the recipe, use a jelly roll pan. Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugars 

thoroughly.
Add the egg and mix well.

Add vanilla.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the cream mixture and

mix well.
Stir in the chocolate chips, coconut, and nuts.
Spread into prepared pan.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Cool and cut into bars. 









Notes: 

^The dough is thick and I suggest you drop spoonfuls in pan using most of the dough.
Wet or flour fingers to spread and then fill in empty places with the remaining dough you saved.









^You could use unsweetened coconut and sugar substitutes to reduce the sugar content.

^You could use dark cacao chips or any flavor of chips for the chocolate chips.

^If you double the recipe and use a jelly roll pan, check after the 20 to 25 minutes for doneness. Edges should be turning brown.

^Add a scoop of your favorite ice cream for added goodness!

^Nuts could be omitted, if necessary.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment