Monday, April 17, 2023

LEMONY PINEAPPLE CAKEY COOKIES (no sugar added)

 What an exciting morning with the Cafe Treats at church! We ended up with such a beautiful and delicious variety of treats! 

Since everyone says what they are brining, I can find something at the last minute to make the night before to add to the others. I do like to have something either sugar-free or with no-sugar-added but since I have several different recipe options, I can choose something different. I had not planned on Member Jo Ann bringing in some brownies, but since Member Liane was bringing in some Chocolate Peppermint Cookies that I will be sharing tomorrow, I'm glad I decided not to make a chocolate sugar-free treat.

These Lemony Pineapple Cakey Cookies were not just pretty, but a colorful addition to the collection. I had to make a few extra changes to the traditional cake mix cookie formula but just so they would be no-sugar-added cookies. With my changes they were just right with the amount of lemon flavoring. If you want the cookies to really taste lemon, I would just suggest doubling the amount of lemon extract. If Pillsbury would just make a lemon cake mix that was Zero Sugar, I wouldn't have to make the extra alterations. Another thought I literally just had is to add a sugar-free yellow jello mix to the cake mix. I will definitely try that the next time I need a  zero sugar lemon cake mix to make something sugar-free. 

If you are not concerned with the sugar when making the cookies, you can use a lemon cake mix and glaze with regular powdered sugar. 

I would have sifted some stevia powdered sugar on top of the cooled cookies, but since we have had lemon crinkles several times for the Cafe Treats, I didn't want people to think they were Lemon Crinkles Cookies.

PRINT RECIPE.



LEMONY PINEAPPLE CAKEY COOKIES (no sugar added)

1       zero sugar yellow cake mix

1       stick of butter, softened

2       eggs

1 - 2  teaspoons lemon extract

1/4    teaspoon pure lemon oil

1       (8 - oz) can (1 cup) crushed pineapple, drained well

Glaze 

1-1/2 cups (stevia) powdered sugar 

lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 


Whisk the dry yellow cake mix to break up any lumps.

Stir the cake mix, butter, eggs, lemon extract, and lemon  on low with electric mixer for a bit;

then add the pineapple and mix til soft dough forms.

 


Using a tablespoon cookie scoop, place dough scoops onto an ungreased cookie sheet or one lined with parchment paper about 2 inches apart. 


Bake for about 10 minutes or until edges are turning brown and centers are soft and set.
I made some on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and some on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Allow to cool 2-5 minutes before removing to cool on a wire rack.








Recipe made 3-1/2 dozen. Store in a closed container.    

Note: You can sift some powdered sugar from stevia on top of cooled baked cookies or make the glaze and ice the cooled cookies with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment