Monday, November 13, 2017

FALL IN THE GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS

We just got back from a week in the Great Smoky Mountains. Even though we missed the peak for the color, we still saw plenty and I just couldn't quit taking pictures. 

We stayed in Sevierville, TN and one day drove over the mountain to Cherokee, NC on U.S. Highway 441. We intended to go to the Oconaluftee Indian Village, a living history museum of the 1760s, but by the time we made it over the mountain and then ate lunch in Cherokee, it had closed when we finally got there. Instead we came back to Cherokee and went through the Museum of the Cherokee Indian there (which was very interesting).

It was very foggy that morning so we didn't drive on up to Clingmans Dome, the highest point in the Smokies at 6,643 feet above sea level. But we did stop and walk a bit on the Appalachian Trail. We would have walked farther than we did, but the ground and leaves were wet and we didn't want to slip.

I hope you will enjoy my pictures. I will try to just show the prettiest ones. I did learn from a man at the Oconaluftee Visitors' Center that there are 130 different varieties of tree of in the Great Smoky Mountains and that is why there is so much color.

















At the Oconaluftee Visitor's Center's in Cherokee, NC....


I have seen a lot of log cabins, but never one built with such huge trees...




Inside the barn....



The red "line" marks the road we used to come over the mountain...





Back at our resort, this was the view we saw from the living room ...

Tomorrow I will share with you pictures from the Biltmore Estate in Ashville, N.C. I hope you will come back tomorrow to see them. It was all decorated for Christmas and was so beautiful. (You can check them out here.)

I also have a post on Dollywood Theme Park that shows pictures I took during the day. You can check them out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment